Author Topic: Lessons learned from T-REX 2015  (Read 4203 times)

low_n_slow

Lessons learned from T-REX 2015
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:15:42 PM »
Well, that was interesting. Now I know why they only do this once a year. Here's what I learned from T-REX 2015:

Just when you think you've seen band conditions at their worst, it gets worse. I had no voice communication with anyone. Period. The only voice communication I heard was a guy at Indianapolis Motor Speedway CQing for some unrelated special event on 7.240. He gave up within about 10 minutes. I didn't even try voice again after the first session.

My vertical Eagle One antenna came through for me this time, unlike in February when it was useless. Best reception was on this antenna on 20M and 40M so I just stayed with it versus switching between it and my NVIS 40m antenna.

Just because you have dedicated ham transceivers doesn't mean your SWL gear should be stored away on a shelf. At times the best digital reception was with the Tecsun PL-880 and 100 feet of wire strung in the trees. It also makes a good monitoring device when the national net runs long and into the regional net.

I copied a total of 13 messages. I have no idea what the total was for the event. None of these messages were copied from a station in Georgia. Most were from the Carolinas, a few from Kentucky, and others from Idaho and Minnesota. This causes me some concern if in austere conditions I can't get information from a more localized source.

There was some variation in the digital operation mode designated in the S.O.I. I'll have to address that with AmRRON. Maybe I missed a memo somewhere.

I monitored 2M 146.420 and CB CH3. Nothing heard. Sort of disappointing.

No traffic on 20M and 40M early Sunday morning. Really disappointing since I got up at 4AM after a late session Saturday night. Sunday mid-morning almost as bad. Only 1 message copied.

I gained more practical experience in the last 3 days than I have in the last year. I was able to become more familiar with my equipment and learned more about its capabilities and shortcomings.

More importantly, I learned more about my capabilities and shortcomings. I'm glad this only lasted 3 days. In a real, long term situation this would be more than one person could handle, especially if there were other duties that needed to be performed.

Overall, it was a great experience. Plenty of frustration when you hear the tone for a message to start, and then see it fade “into the weeds” soon after. Jubilation when you see a strong signal on the waterfall and get a clean, 100% copy. I'm looking forward to more training in the future, but only after some much needed rest.

73's

Country Singer

Re: Lessons learned from T-REX 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 06:36:04 PM »
Band conditions were horrible!  I got a total of 27 messages in and got my two assigned exercise messages sent out.

On your comment about the digital op mode:  I'm guessing you're talking about the MFSK32 mode.  You're right, the SOI needs to be updated to reflect its usage.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Nemo

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:12:23 PM »
I wonder why the govt would be trying to interfere with that and jam those freqs.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 11:04:15 PM »
Thanks for that info, guys..... I couldn't hear anything on either the HF or VHF channels.  As far as I could tell, nobody in Floyd or Polk was participating. 

After a 5 week hiatus, I'll be back to my studies this week.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Gunner

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:01:35 PM »
Good things to keep in mind for next year.
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 10:18:51 AM »
Tlwagg and I briefly chatted on a Team Speak meeting about how desperately we need a state wide ability to communicate with each other. Several of us have tried 2m Simplex comms with very poor results. I hope all the Hams in our group will put their heads to work and help us come up with a way to pass traffic state wide without using repeaters. Or should I start training homing pigeons?
Ravenwood

tlwagg

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »
I believe it's always better to have a plan in place and never need it, than trying to find a solution at the last minute. I'm sure that most of you would agree or you wouldn't be here.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

low_n_slow

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 02:27:59 PM »
Tlwagg and I briefly chatted on a Team Speak meeting about how desperately we need a state wide ability to communicate with each other. Several of us have tried 2m Simplex comms with very poor results. I hope all the Hams in our group will put their heads to work and help us come up with a way to pass traffic state wide without using repeaters. Or should I start training homing pigeons?
Ravenwood

The only way possible for a 2 meter simplex network to work is through message relays, which would require participation by licensed hams. If anyone would like to try, we need to pick a date and time, and we need, more than anything, PARTICIPATION. That includes non-licensed individuals with listening capabilities. Even if you can't respond, you can at least report if you heard anything.

Other than that, we have to rely on HF communications. Non-licensed individuals can also participate with the use of a shortwave receiver with single side band capabilities. See Country Singer's post here: http://seprepnet.com/forum/index.php/topic,27.0.html

Learn more about monitoring communications and why its important here: https://www.amrron.com/communications-resources/ch3-project/

Be sure to click the link "Prepper Radio Communications 101" for even more info.

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 03:08:08 PM »
I'm curious.

Repeaters aren't the be-all, end-all prepper tool for radio, but I think most would go for a few days after SHTF until their fuel runs out, etc. Certainly not with any linking, Echolink, etc., but in a basic capacity.

Ultimately this may be its own thread, but I'm curious how many people can hit the Jasper Mountain Repeater @ 146.805?

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=13&ID=147

I'm thinking it should be half of GA-ish

If you're on an HT, don't just try it from your basement - find some high ground and give it a shot.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

low_n_slow

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 03:21:42 PM »

Lilburner

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 03:37:36 PM »
I know some guys who are big in the Southeast Repeater Association that I'll be seeing tonight.

I'm going to ask about the possibility of setting up a net, if they have an "in" with the Jasper people.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal