Author Topic: Alone in a survival situation  (Read 7222 times)

Wabbit

Alone in a survival situation
« on: August 14, 2015, 08:58:37 AM »
The history channel has a reality series that had 10 survivalist placed on Vancouver Island where each is allowed 10 items and is placed apart from everyone else.  They each do video logs when they want to communicate with outside world.  I highly recommend you watch it on Netflix or Hulu from the beginning. This is not your typical phony reality show but a real life test of the skills of the individuals.

Several tapped out within the first few days and several more within 2 weeks.  The bears or cougars or hunger seemed to be the cause.  Only 4, including Alan of Blairsville, made it over a month and after 40 plus days, only 2 are left.  The finale is next Thursday and the winner gets $500,000.   

It's interesting what each chose as  his ten items, and interesting to watch the psychology of each in his battle with nature, hunger, and the loneliness.   I have learned how to easily trap a mouse, skin it and cook it and that when you are hungry, you will eat anything.  What surprised me the most as that no one seems to have read HikinBob's "All Plants" thread because they are ignoring the vast supply of weeds, trees and leaves they could be eating on  a regular basis.  Alan did mention eating Hemlock bark once but there were pines and other edible plant food sources.

Anyway, check it out and BTW, Alan is in the final two along with a young farm boy from Nebraska.
"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is NOT out there to kill you. "  (Mel Gibson~Conspiracy Theory)

florida44

Re: Alone in a survival situation
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 10:04:31 AM »
Yes I was surprised our prepper author Chris, AKA Angery American was the first out but the cougars would have had me running if not the bears. I think Alan has a great mindset for this and has kept a positive outlook for most part. The whiny crying one that made the boat constantly surprises me ( I am not caught up yet with all the episodes) he has so much potential I just want him to quite crying all the time. I really liked the young guy who set all the mouse traps too. After Alan I was rooting for him.
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Medic72

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 10:09:43 AM »
Great show. I've inquired about the next one :)
2 is 1, 1 is None
Master Mason
Paratrooper
Paramedic
If you're not prepared to take a life, don't bother prepping!

Nemo

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:48:01 AM »
I would love to go on it also.  But with my scripts I am sure they will say no.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

ProGeek

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 03:44:05 PM »
No way I want to do that with so many bears around. Watched a few shows and got board of it.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Nemo

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 04:44:50 PM »
Bears are great.  You eat them or they eat you.  You go in in a blaze of glory and out in a dump of scat.

I have a Tshirt that I routinely wear regarding bears.  It says:

Whatever does not kill you makes you stronger.

Except for bears.  Bears will kill you.

Nemo

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

stvr

• Global Chairman & Region 5 Leader
  • Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 10:37:18 PM »
What about Gentle Ben?
stvr
USMC Retired - NRA Endowment Member

"There is no better friend... and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

Nemo

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 10:57:02 PM »
Best to go ask Grizzly Adams that question.

Nemo

lets_prep

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 09:33:50 PM »
Hubby and I are sitting down to watch the first episode!
Region 7

elandil

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 10:13:49 PM »
History finally posted the gear list for each contestant. A lot was made about them only getting to choose 10 items, but after seeing what they were allowed/given.... How the %£$& did some of these people not bust out laughing when they called themselves an "expert"? Some of the stupid, rank amateur bs that they left for..... My out of shape, bad back, one eyed fat ass could have ran(figuratively) circles around these jackwagons.

Heres the list for those curious...

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/full-gear-list-and-prohibited-items
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Nemo

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 01:14:52 AM »
What about the mule to carry that load of stuff they give you? 

Nemo

Gunner

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 02:08:01 AM »
Hell...with rules like that...I might be able to make it... because I can bring my drugs with me....~!~!~
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

Blade

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 08:54:59 PM »
I've noticed on almost all forums that have a post about the show ALONE, there are several folks "that could do better"
These men who did try out, proved they had the will to at least try.

Better than me, I know I could not make it.
That is why I have even more supplies and some people to help out.

Most people don't realize how much human interaction people need. Humans by nature are communal creatures...sort of pack animals.
We don't do so well on our own...Take this forum for example. It's not face to face, but it is more than those guys on the show had.

But if anyone thinks they have the right stuff...http://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/want-to-be-on-alone
Season 2 is filming now, but season 3 is open.

engineer3d

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 06:28:33 PM »
For those unable to attend the trapping class and demonstration at Tru Prep yesterday, I'd suggest you try to take it the next time it's offered. The instructor took us outside, showed us how to pick 3 different edge zones, and set a snare in a downtown area. If you can trap there, you can trap anywhere. One of the most useful things I took away was a card that that gave the best snare loop size and height above the ground for different animals.

Nemo

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 06:58:05 PM »
Scan and post for my printing, please.

Nemo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal