Author Topic: 15 items to survive.  (Read 2645 times)

9mmMike

15 items to survive.
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:55:05 PM »
Ok, you are going to dropped in the middle of the Nantahalia forest in North Carolina in the fall. You have to survive for 90 days on your own. You can take fourteen items which you have to carry in 5 miles. Gun/ammo counts as one item as long as it is less than 60 rounds. Fishing gear: Rod, reel, lures, weights, hook, small net) counts as one item but no live bait is allowed. What else are you going to take? Small items can be grouped into a single kit but must fit into a gallon sized zip lock bag.

I would probably take a .40 cal carbine with 60 rounds, a four piece number four or so fly rod and matched reel with a good selection of flies suited for the area, hooks, lead shot weights, spare leader, hook remover, scent attractor for dry flies and two autoreels.

I would add:
- a light weight tent
- sleeping bag good to 30 degrees with removable liner
- hatchet
- line kit with 100 feet of paracord and a snare kit
- army style aluminum mess kit
- good multi-blade folding hunter knife with gut hook and skinning blade
- seasoning kit (salt, pepper, hot sauce, sage, garlic powder all in one package)
- fire starter kit ( weather proof matches, parafin soaked lint, magnesium with fero rod and striker, and a fire piston with carbon cloth.)
- hygiene kit with toothbrush, tooth paste, floss, soap, brush, bandaids, mercurochrome, instant skin, stitching kit
- industrial sized roll of toilet paper
- a large can of Deet based bug repellent
- Spare clothes kit with jeans, under ware, socks, shirt, spare glasses and rain poncho.
- Water purification kit with katydyne water purifier and purifier pills ( maybe an iodine kit) and a stainless steel 1 quart bottle.

I would wear a long sleeve heavy duty shirt, light jacket, Levi, duck head or wrangler work jeans, a tee shirt, under ware, good heavy socks, a good hat and high top hiking boots.

What would your list look like?

So what does your list look like?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:27:35 AM by 9mmMike »

Nemo

Re: 15 items to survive.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:49:43 AM »
Figuring 1 Sept to 1 Dec.

1,2 Ruger 10-22 Rifle with 150 round of ammo.  Extra ammo counting as item 2.

3, No tent.  Good 8 x 10 tarp.

4, Good sleeping bag

5, Gerber Combo Axe/Knife  Sharpener included (fits in gallon bag)   http://www.gerbergear.com/Cutting-Tools/Axes/Gator-Combo-Axe-_31-001054 (1 Item)

6, 100 feet Paracord/Snare wire kit

7, Aluminum Mess Kit with onboard silverware

8, Fire Kit-- Bic Lighter, Vaseline Cotton Balls,  Magnesium Bar with built in Spark Rod

9, One quart Metal Canteen and Pouch (area map and compass if ok gallon bag ok)

10, One quart nalgene type bottle with katydyn filter on it.

11, Hygiene kit as noted but TP is included there so only one item on count.

12, Good Med Kit-- band aids, 4x4s, antibotic ointment, steri strips, tape, sutures, etc.

13, Basic newbie fishing rod w/ hook, lure kit

14, Large can 100% Deet bug spray

Spice/Seasoning kit as noted but grouped with med kit as one item.

Spare clothing kit as noted.  Appears not on 14 item count above.

Dressed as noted on drop off.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

9mmMike

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 09:07:44 AM »
I did overlook a water bottle, although I would probably suggest a metal one so you can also boil water in it.

Nemo

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:29:49 AM »
Thats why I noted the 1 quart metal canteen along with the 1 quart nalgene bottle with filter.  Items 9 and 10 on my list.

Nemo

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 03:31:09 PM »
Taking a short break from weekend homesteading, so can't do the whole exercise right now but...

#1 A sturdy woman.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 07:45:09 PM »
Some areas up in those woods may make you have to just grab a squealing pig.

I think a women (or man, depending) are not permitted.  Basically because they are awful hard to carry.

Nemo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal