Author Topic: Muscle rack from Amazon  (Read 3251 times)

HogJowlHomestead

Muscle rack from Amazon
« on: August 14, 2017, 08:06:19 PM »
I bought this last week because I ran out of storage space. I was surprised it was so sturdy, it's rated for 4000lbs but that sounds like rubbish. Anyway it was on sale for 36 when I bought it, I think there 40 now. They also have the larger shelf that's 55 with shipping vs Walmart at 70. 
If anyone knows of a cheaper shelf out there that's sturdy I'm all ears. I'll be buying some more.
It was easy to assemble vs the cheap punches out tab shelves.

Check this out: Muscle Rack UR301260PB5P-SV Silver Vein Steel Storage Rack, 5 Adjus... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HQ3YYPK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_PLJKzbK01HSEZ
Psalms 127:3-5

Carrot

Re: Muscle rack from Amazon
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »
Home Depot has one for this price but it's rated for half the weight and has one less shelf. This seems like a really good buy if I wasn't currently banned form buying more shelving.

florida44

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »
I have bought a number of these and the pressed board shelving that comes with it bows and if you use in someplace not temp controlled or exposed to humidity much less moisture at all then it is even worse. If you take the time to replace the particle board with plywood then you would be golden. I use the all metal shelving these days. A pain to set up but sturdier. JMO
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:12:40 PM »
Thanks for the replays, I have seen the larger shelf at Costco with 3/8 plastic shelving I will try that one out Next. If I can find some 1/8" angle iron I'll make some

Carrot I two am on lock down, tried for another bag of rice last week at Costco and I guess it was final straw  ;D so I took it back for twenty pounds of pancake mix and some how that seemed more sensible to her.

Carrot

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »
I've had all my water barrels tossed in my storage unit, which makes me really uneasy. This means I need to get into caching so I don't have to have all my preps combed over.

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »
I'm a sucker for the 18x48x72 Rolling Metro Style wire shelving you see at Costco and Sams. I've got at LEAST a dozen sets. I've lost count at some point.

Sometimes you can get them super cheap on eBay - like $50, but they're they're not as nice, with lower capacity. Most preps won't even tax the lighter duty ones, though. Maybe lead acid batteries and the like.

I'm not generally a fan of the kind shown EXCEPT at least with the 18x48 ones, you can split them in half and make a workbench or the like. they kind of shine for that.

This weekend I grabbed some plastic shelves from Ollies - want to say 18x36 - the kind that push together with plastic tubes for under $30 for my shed because I didn't want nice shelves out there. Perfectly good for holding miscellany - tools, parts, chemicals This sort of thing.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 03:11:53 PM »
The "cheap" rolling wire shelves are on sale as of this writing for $55 delivered. I've bought from this vendor. They're local to GA and always come quickly, even though some are drop shipped from the west coast.

If you're used to the "good ones", there are four caveats with these cheap ones.

1) Less capacity. Probably only come in to play for ammo, batteries, and heavy canned goods like home canning, meat, soup, sauce (fine for dry goods like LDS)

2) The runners are "backwards", making it harder to slide things from front to back. I line them if I'm using them for smallish things like cans.

3) They're taller. Once you build it and load it, that's the room it's in. You have to tip them to get through a door.

4) Don't buy black. The coating is too thick and it messes up the "detents" for the mounting clips and they slide down as you try to build.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commercial-82-x48-x18-6-Tier-Layer-Shelf-Adjustable-Wire-Metal-Shelving-Rack-76-/311864355012?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

Assembly tip. Build the bottom half, THEN attach the tops of the poles. When you assemble the poles, they're all flopping around unwieldy 6 feet up in the air while you're trying to slide the second and third shelves on. the more shelves you have on the bottom, the more rigid the top poles are when you add them.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 03:51:03 PM »
Thanks Liburner your like a encyclopedia. I have been very worried of buying inferior shelves because of the weight of supplies. I traded my swimming pool for a custom canning cabinet made out of 3/4 true plywood. It's getting full and there's no way I can afford another one. I will look at the wire shelving, I saw it at Costco and thought it wouldn't be sturdy, now I know. If anyone is looking for an accent piece for there kitchen this couple are very good wood workers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal