Author Topic: When I built my house in the 80s  (Read 1578 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
When I built my house in the 80s
« on: September 25, 2017, 07:21:03 PM »
When I built my house in 1987 I installed a one of those infra red heat motion detectors to watch over my building supplies.  How many of you are going to tell me that no such thing existed in 1987 ?  Well mine was a Heath kit I had to assemble.  I paid $147 for the privilege of putting it together.  A few years later you could buy them for $16.00.  Anyway I used a 12 battery, 2 meter radio and cw IDer to let me know it town if anyone was out at my building site at night.  After I moved in, I installed it down the driveway and powered it with 120VAC and Power supply.  Well one Saturday night/early Sunday morning my motion detector went off.  Didn't think much of it at we frequently have dear come up the driveway.  It resets in 4 minutes.  4 minutes later it goes off again.  Well I had it wired so it turns on a light over the garage door.  Now I am thinking it is 20 deg F outside and the wind is blowing 20mile an hour.  So the deer are hunkered down in a hole somewhere trying to stay worm.  So I jumped out of bed in the dark and put on slippers and grabbed the 30 cal carbine.  I went outside and looked down the driveway and did not see anything but darkness.  So I decided to fire a chasser down the driveway.  Just before I squeezed off the first round I pulled off to the left into the woods.  Just in case there was someone in my driveway.  Pop, Pop, POP and back in the house I went thinking to myself that if there way someone down there that they probably would not come back.  Well a few days later I was walking down the driveway to the road to get the mail.  I see a broken piece of glass at the edge of the driveway.  Pick it up and read "objects are closer than they appear"  or something like that.  It was a piece of a mirror.  Then I look over at a tree beside the driveway and see where the bark is skinned off.  So it appears someone pulled in my driveway in the middle of the night.  The motion sensor turned on the light over the garage and beeped the sona alert tone in the house.  After 4 minutes and the light went out they must have been backing out and set it off again.  It appears they got off the driveway and broke their mirror on my tree.  Anyway they were probably gone when I got out there.  In any case, they did not come back.

Wabbit

Re: When I built my house in the 80s
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »
wow, thanks for sharing!   I was thinking of monitor also but fortunately my dogs warn me when a car approaches at about 1500 feet.  They know the sound of car hitting gravel part of road.   But,  they also rbark at random forest critters.  I am learning to distinguish between people/car barks and animal barks.  The other cool thing is  line up with biggest one in front in direction of whatever is coming .   But i will add the monitor to my wish list!
"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is NOT out there to kill you. "  (Mel Gibson~Conspiracy Theory)

ProGeek

Re: When I built my house in the 80s
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 01:32:51 PM »
I have a long driveway too. I have a Mighty Mule Wireless Driveway Alarm and love it. I hear the UPS and mail man coming as well as family. It senses metal not movement. So it won't detect deer or people walking up. We get quite a few deer crossing the driveway. So I don't want it going off all the time at 3am.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal