Author Topic: hunter's insurance  (Read 3673 times)

upacreek

hunter's insurance
« on: November 13, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
I have  guy that contacted me that wants to hunt on my property (I'm not living there)  He'd add me to some hunter's insurance he says he'll purchase for it.  Has anyone allowed this or has anyone possessed such insurance?  I've never hunted, so I know nothing about it.  I'm definitely not opposed as long as he's eating the meat.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Lilburner

Re: hunter's insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
I don't know anything about it, but the timing is funny.

Not an hour ago I had some firewood delivered and the guy (when he finally found it) asked to hunt for a fee.

I declined because I told him I wanted it to be a sanctuary until *I* was ready to harvest it.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 06:10:47 PM »
It's worth checking into, BUT, I'd suspect that hunter's insurance will protect him (and you if he adds you) if he accidentally shoots someone but it probably won't protect YOU if he gets hurt on your property - or, whether known by you or not, he brings someone else along with him and THEY get hurt.

Another consideration, if you have liability insurance on the property, is that you may not be allowed to 'rent' it out.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

florida44

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:29:26 AM »
I get asked that all the time and unless I am hoping they might join our group that is a big no. Insurance or not there is always a liability to letting just anyone move around your property. Some of you may remember that the Chief broke her ankle after the fall campout last year - right in the front yard of our BOL by stepping into a dip in the grass.

Just 2 weeks ago another member killed a 4 ft rattlesnake and a few months back we killed a copperhead that was in one of our sheds.

Whether they have a gun mishap, break a limb, fall out of a tree, get bit by a snake or the sky falls, you can still be liable. My BOL members are family but friends, associates etc are not and why take a chance? Besides the more strangers hang out on your BOL the more details they will remember about what you may or may not have.

Nope, not for me.
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

bountyhunter

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »
I have been on several hunting leases in my lifetime. And every year we were REQUIRED to sign a "HOLD HARMLESS" agreement with said Landowner. No one has ever been sued that I am aware of for accidents on property. The big timber companies use the "HOLD HARMLESS" agreements. I know that they do have insurance but that is against loss of property ie: trees which are crops to them and that is their cash in the future.
But, personally I wouldn't lease out land unless you are cash strapped and need to pay the taxes. With that being said, you may need that property in the future for other purposes and not for hunting.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

SS-Preppers

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 01:07:57 PM »
I just don't see the upside vs. all the potential risks.......In my experience you let one person hunt your property and the next thing you know there are 3 or 4..........chances are since you are not around you already have a few people hunting your land anyway.....personally, I would do your research and post your property.  I think spacing is 1,000 ft for open spaces and 500 for wooded, but check with the DNR.

upacreek

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:29:10 PM »
Thanks for your advice.

Lilburner

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 03:23:34 PM »
So the guy I bought my place from texted me to tell me a guy would be calling me to make sure it was OK to hunt up there because he hunts up there every year.

Haven't talked to him yet - trying to think of a graceful exit.

Thinking of going with "My lawyer said no"
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

upacreek

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »
Wow, that's pretty bold of the previous owner and the hunter.  I wouldn't even pin it on a lawyer.  Flat out "No" works too.  It's not rude on your part.  It is rude on their part for not asking nicer.  Time for some No Trespassing signs.

Lilburner

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 03:48:03 PM »
The signs are up.

I'm trying to keep on good terms with the seller. He owns an adjacent parcel and I want dibs on it. That's the only reason I want to be graceful. To his credit, he did tell the guy he had to ask me. Maybe it's part of a "good old boy" rural mindset that they assumed it would just be OK.

I'll probably lead with "do yo have insurance for that?", and then if he does, "Let me run it past the lawyer".

~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 05:14:39 PM »
When I moved here, I was told I might see a high school friend of one of my neighbors who has been hunting around here for something like 25 yrs.  I told my neighbor to give him my phone # as I'd be hunting my property myself and wouldn't want an accident.  Never heard from the guy but I did see him on another neighbor's land and we talked, he was cool about it and as far I know he's never been here.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

engineer3d

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »
Lilburner,
There's something else you might want to consider. If he's been hunting your land and the local area, he's got a lot of useful intel on the wild protein. He probably knows where your wild, emergency rations like to feed, drink, and bed down. He could probably tell you what kind of bait works best when the rules are relaxed.
You might tell him he can hunt your land if you go w/ him. You might get lucky and get a deer. If it's been a long time since you dressed and butchered one, he can probably show you the fast, easy way to process it.

SS-Preppers

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »
I would just tell him that you already promised that your (insert relation here) that you would let him hunt your property already.....but you'll would keep his number and give him a call if your (insert relation here) decides he wants to hunt somewhere else.....dang, I'm really sorry.....wish I had known before I agreed to let him hunt here.....hey, he's family, what can you do.

or something along those lines......you get the picture.........

ProGeek

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 09:35:11 AM »
GA law somewhat protects land owners from liability. Getting insurance on top of that should be adequate. You should also require hunters to sign a waver and exclusion of liability. Also, that any guests must sign too and that they must send the signed form to you first.

https://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/hunting-in-georgia-landowners-private-property/2015/05/21/id/645974/

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=178080
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

bountyhunter

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »
HOLD HARMLESS. I sign one every year. Nothing new or scientific about it. Been around for years. It protects both parties. I have seen it stand up in court. Of course there will be folks here that will disagree with me. It works! Keeps both parties safe. If you don't want to lease your property for hunting, just say no. There is no explanation need to be given. It is your property do with it as you see fit. With in reason of course. Just make sure you post it so that you have a leg to stand on in the event that you have to prosecute in court. Also check with your local law enforcement agencies as well.
This aint rocket science and no need to make it difficult. If in doubt pay the lawyer $200 plus an hour for advice.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal