Author Topic: SEPN 2018 Spring Campout April 20-22 - Charlie Elliott WMA  (Read 12344 times)

Lilburner

SEPN 2018 Spring Campout April 20-22 - Charlie Elliott WMA
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »
It's that time again. Our 2018 kick off event, the "Annual Spring Camp Out". It will be located at Clybel Wildlife Management Area (WMA) camping area. Right next to:

Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center
543 Elliott Trail
Mansfield, Ga. 30055
(770) 784-3059

http://georgiawildlife.com/CharlieElliott

Fri, April 20 - Sun, April 22, 2018 (Site is reserved for Thursday as well and some choose to load in on Thursday evening depending on weather, etc)

As always we are looking for you thoughts, ideas, and concerns if any on this event. So please post them on this thread and let us know. We will continue to make plans and post them as the time gets closer. Looking forward to hearing  from everyone.

(credit to stvr whose 2017 post I mostly pasted in and edited a bit)

For new members who haven't attended a prior campout: This is boondock camping with no hookups. Bring what you got. Arrangements range from hammocks to massive RVs that double as BOVs. I've heard of a debris hut being built, but I wasn't there. Porta potties will be provided (as such, and to help defray SEPN operating expenses, a $15 donation per SITE (not person) is requested.

Auction Items: The primary fundrasier for SEPN is the Saturday evening auction. It's what keeps the site running and enables things like our current posting contest. Campers are encouraged but not required to bring and donate items of prepper/homesteader interest. Handcrafted items do particularly well.

Classes and activities: These will be scheduled and tracked in a post below. Remember! There is a bounty of 25 bonus entries in the posting contest to plan and lead a class or activity! So get your hat in the ring early so we can fit you on the schedule! These could range from conventional classes to activites such as a plant identification walk or firearms training or contest at the neighboring range. One member suggested coordinating another taste test like we did in the fall.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:02:15 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

Re: SEPN Spring Campout April 20-22 - Charlie Elliott WMA
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 02:53:43 PM »
Typing Charlie Elliott into GPS isn't super helpful in getting to the campground

Here's your GPS Target.

33.459611, -83.724028

Drop that in, and your Navigation will abandon you somewhere along Murder Creek Road (mine ended at the gray dot) and say you have to walk the rest of the way. Just go on up to the unmarked dirt road and drive all the way in. There has in the past been a host/ranger trailer up at the head of that road for a landmark.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:08:47 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 02:53:55 PM »
Schedule of events Saturday, 04/21

11:00: Seed Swap hosted by RWS

13:00: Soap making with Starlady

15:00: Bugout bag show and tell and contest.

Come show off your bag - whatever you call it - bugout, get home, INCH - bring a bag and show it off. A small tarp would likely be helpful. Then we'll have a contest judged by Starlady, Florida44, Chief and myself. the best part - We're not going to tell you the rules! Just show up with your best bacg and you'll have a chance at winning. Prize is 250 rounds of 9mm ammo (photo is representative).

17:00: Auction and prize drawings for posting/membership contest

Feel free to bring items for the auction - it's our primary (only) fundraiser for the website and whatnot.

Dinner is on your own, but feel free to share!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:43:02 PM by Lilburner »
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:41:55 PM »
Officially volunteering to teach a soap making class.  Since hot & cold process soap making is nearly identical, I'll cover both.   We'll do the hot process so if we could set it up for 1pm on  Saturday, I'm working on a way we can have samples within a few hours for the class attendees to take home. 
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

joboomartin

Re: SEPN 2018 Spring Campout April 20-22 - Charlie Elliott WMA
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 07:37:30 AM »
We would like to attend the soap making class. would it help if participants brought some of the ingredients?

Starlady

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 09:37:28 AM »
That's awfully nice of you but I think it will be easier for me to bring what we'll need.  None of it's expensive at all & to make a 2-3 lb batch we don't use very much of anything.

I'll have a simple recipe, just lard & something else (or maybe not, so you can really see pioneer stuff!) but we will scent it, and you'll be able to take a sample home.   I'll be donating whatever's left to the Saturday late afternoon/evening auction.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »
I am getting ready for the Spring campout.  Now I realize I have a conflict.  I am supposed to go to Baldwin and pick up my bees.  It is only a tentative date and I will get an e-mail 5 days in advance.  Date is very subject to change.  How can you plan a schedule like that?  Anyway I am gearing up to cook on open fire and use a Rocket Stove.  See pictures below.
One of my sons lives in PA.  and we try to get together during the Summer and camp.  Shenandoah is about half way (a little more for me) but I am retired and have the time.  He just texted me.  He is going to reserve a campsite w/o electricity and no generator run rule.  Sounds like Flat Top to me.  Anyway I told him we were good for a dry camp.  Will test it out at Spring campout.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:14:27 PM by RWS »

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 06:58:18 AM »
I went to the Dalton Hamfest this past weekend.  I won a door prize.  A 2M/440mhz dual band magnetic mount antenna.  I don't have a metal roof on my camper, so it is of little use to me.  I will bring it to the campout for the auction.

I have an MFJ J-pole I can pull up into a tree for 2m while camping.

I just got a Rocket Stove in I want to try out at the campout also.  It looks good and I hear it does a good job.  I like the fact that you just gather your fuel on site.  Where ever you happen to be.  It is too heavy to back pack.

Country Singer

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 06:37:00 PM »
I went to the Dalton Hamfest this past weekend.  I won a door prize.  A 2M/440mhz dual band magnetic mount antenna.  I don't have a metal roof on my camper, so it is of little use to me. 

Back in my broke days I used an old beyond rescue cast iron skillet as a mag mount base in my back yard.  That was my base station antenna for several months...worked like a charm.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

aces

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 02:48:30 PM »
My elmer recommends a pizza pan on a high shelf in the house to beginners.
So there are ways you can improvise.

I love the skillet idea since my XOM (non-ham male spouse) bought a HUGE one at Harbor Frieght we can't use on the stove.  Apparently it would work on some campfire grates or maybe directly in the coals like a flat Dutch oven.  It has never been out of the box.  I keep wondering if it's for home protection since it's not for home use (yet.) He will never miss it!  :D

I bought a wheel mount for my military poles from TN07 Engineering at the Stone Mtn. hamfest that one parks a front wheel on. I love it because it is so easy to put up by myself without having to mess with tiedowns.
(I paid 2/3rds of the $150 price shown on their website, but that was 2 years ago.  Maybe they realized they weren't making enough for their trouble, or they cut the price in the introductory stage or for the hamfest.) 
https://tn07.com/2-and-one-half-inch-drive-on-mount

9mmMike

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 10:47:23 AM »
Wish I could make it but I have to fly out to Dubai on Sunday after getting back from a conference in Las Vegas on Friday. Have fun everyone and learn a lot!

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
I love the skillet idea since my XOM (non-ham male spouse) bought a HUGE one at Harbor Frieght we can't use on the stove.  Apparently it would work on some campfire grates or maybe directly in the coals like a flat Dutch oven.  It has never been out of the box.  I keep wondering if it's for home protection since it's not for home use (yet.) He will never miss it!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aces,  I would bid on it at the campout SEPN auction.  hint   hint.........

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 07:02:11 AM »
I went to the Dalton Hamfest this past weekend.  I won a door prize.  A 2M/440mhz dual band magnetic mount antenna.  I don't have a metal roof on my camper, so it is of little use to me. 

Back in my broke days I used an old beyond rescue cast iron skillet as a mag mount base in my back yard.  That was my base station antenna for several months...worked like a charm.
Back in my broke days, I took a PL259 and silver soldered in a welding rod.  (torch rod) Trim to 18".   Add a 90 degree fitting to the back of the radio and start talking.  Then use a piece of brass shim stock 3"x3".  Put an so239 in the middle.  Solder on a welding rod to each corner for radials.  That and a broom stick made a 1/4 base antenna for 2 meters.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 06:54:51 AM »
Good News......  I got my bee pickup notice for March 22 instead of April 21.  That clears the conflict for the campout.  I have started thinking about meals.  I think I will grill Bratworst, then put it in a pan with my home made sourkraut.  Then eat it with a hot dog bun & mustard.  That will be Friday night.  I plan to use a new Rocket Stove and invite you to observe or participate if you wish.  I figure I could cut the remaining Bratworst into halfs of thirds and offer a taste with my home made sourkraut....  Saturday I plan to grill deli sliced corn beef, cheese & sourkraut on rye bread--sandwich.  If I baked a potato Friday evening when the fire was going, I could have home fries & scrambled eggs for breakfast with coffee.  Maybe I won't starve...

Lilburner

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
Quickie post from a scattered mind just to catch up on what activities are planned - then I'll make something more complete later.

So far there is soapmaking, bugout bag show and tell and contest, and someone who I haven't been able to reply back to yet has suggested a seed swap, so hopefully that. And if there's enough specific interest, a rifle build.

I need 1-2 volunteers who would recuse themselves from a BOB contest to help plan and judge. Feel free to volunteer here.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal