Author Topic: SEPN 2018 Spring Campout April 20-22 - Charlie Elliott WMA  (Read 12333 times)

Starlady

Re: SEPN 2018 Spring Campout April 20-22 - Charlie Elliott WMA
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 08:50:50 PM »
I'll be happy to help judge the BOB contest as long as it's not scheduled at the same time as the soap class!

Don't forget to add my points for that,  I got all the planning and timing worked out today, made soap with only fire - no electricity!  It came out great and I've got new tips to give out.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

florida44

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
The Chief and I will be happy to judge the BOBs
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 06:05:51 PM »
I plan to bring a small card table.  I could set it up under the awning of my camper.  I will bring marking pen and zip lock sandwich bags.  It should not take very long or can happen most anytime during the campout.  We would be looking for seeds you have propagated.  If they are offered by a seed company, try to bring a printout of the description.  Unusual seeds ??  Everyone has one or two ?

Lilburner

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 06:13:07 PM »
RWS I think you just answered a private message in a forum thread.  ;)
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 07:18:11 PM »
Actually I had not even read the private message yet.  I meant for it to be public.....

Starlady

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 09:12:31 PM »
If I have room, I'll try to remember to throw my 3 totes of seeds in the camper along with an extra copy of the spreadsheet I made a few years ago with the species sorted by genus with spacing noted to prevent cross pollination.  If you don't already have it, RWS, I think you'll find it really useful in planning.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 09:47:03 PM »
OK - looks like we're on track - Starlady is doing the soap making class. I believe she requested 1:00 on Saturday.

RWS is handling the seed swap. don't have a time for that yet.

Pack your best bugout bag for the Show and Tell and contest! Probably be best to lay them out on tarps - tables are usually in short supply. I've recruited Starlady, florida44, and Chief as judges/cohorts. The the thing about the contest is - we're not telling you what the contest is. Anyone who has a well-stocked bag could win. It sounds crazy to have a contest and not tell you what it is, but trust me - my cohorts have thought it's a great idea - you will, too. We should be able to announce the prize by this time next week. Any suggestions? Help me be creative or it will wind up being ammo or a gift card.

Then in the evening, of course, we'll do the auction. FEEL BRING TO BRING DONATIONS! this is our only fundraiser. We'll do the posting and membership contest drawing at around the same time. You don't have to be present to win, but it would be awesome if you were!

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 07:07:05 AM »
StarLady,  I bought a pack of "Lazy Housewife" pole beans.  They were new in the catalog this year.  I will probably only plant about half of them.  I told Ravenwood1950 that if she did not show at the campout that I would send her a few seeds so that she could propagate them for next years crop.  And guess what,  I volunteered you to take them to her!  Wasn't that nice of me..?

Starlady

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 12:51:33 PM »
She's 3 hrs from me!  It might be better to wrap 'em well and mail them to her if she doesn't make it to Campout.

I'll drive 3 hrs for a duck...........but not a few seeds, LOL!

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 01:02:37 PM »
I don't know where anyone lives.  I just thought I remembered seeing you say you would pick her up to go to a function.  So I assumed it was close.  If she will PM me an address, I would gladly mail them.  Since she doesn't know me, she will probably be hesitant.  Anyway I will work it out. 
It will be interesting to put faces to names at the campout.  I stopped by the Fall campout for a few minutes but did not get to talk to everyone.  I do haves faces for 4 or 5 though.

BennyMG1

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 03:55:26 PM »
We're going to have to make it a day trip for Saturday. Too much going on with the house renovation.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Lilburner

Re: SEPN Spring Campout April 20-22 - Charlie Elliott WMA
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 09:21:24 PM »
This is a copy of the newly-populated third post in this thread. I'm pasting it in here one to bump the thread, and secondly so you don't have to backtrack up to see it.

Starlady and RWS - would you like to add a blurb for your events? I'll be happy to add them - what to expect, what to bring, etc.

Schedule of events Saturday, 04/21

11:00: Seed Swap hosted by RWS

13:00: Soap making with Starlady

15:00: Bugout bag show and tell and contest.

Come show off your bag - whatever you call it - bugout, get home, INCH - bring a bag and show it off. A small tarp would likely be helpful. Then we'll have a contest judged by Starlady, Florida44, Chief and myself. the best part - We're not going to tell you the rules! Just show up with your best bacg and you'll have a chance at winning. Priz is 250 rounds of Blazer Brass 9mm ammo (photo is representative).

17:00: Auction and prize drawings for posting/membership contest

Feel free to bring items for the auction - it's our primary (only) fundraiser for the website and whatnot.

Dinner is on your own, but feel free to share!

~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 06:42:33 AM »
Ok.  Saturday at 11:00AM all times approx. there will be a seed exchange.  This will occur in the campsite.  This is a barter trade - round table.  This is a post SHTF exercise on bartering.  Garden seeds will be an important item to have and easy to acquire for those with a garden.  Bring your unique seeds and anything you have more than you need of.  Hope to see you there.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 06:54:23 AM »
Friday evening at the campout I plan to cook using a new Rocket Stove.  I will be cooking bratwurst sausage and sourkraut.  I will have some extra for taste test of my first ever home made sourkraut.  Then Saturday noon or so after the seed exchange I will be grilling corn beef sandwiches with sourkraut, cheese and if desired mustard.  Again I plan to have extra for a taste test.  Come see ho well this stove performs as it could be yours......

Starlady

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »
I love my rocket stove!   I recently discovered that it fits my old water bath canner perfectly - which itself is a perfect fit for dunking harvested chickens and ducks prior to defeathering and I don't have to worry about using gas!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal