Author Topic: New board - Storage Food Reviews  (Read 2930 times)

Lilburner

New board - Storage Food Reviews
« on: January 29, 2018, 03:11:24 PM »
Welcome to Storage Food Reviews - a child board of Food and Water

It's the classic conundrum - buying a large quantity of food that you don't want to break the seal on, as it were, but is it good?

We had some successful experimentation at the last campout, and might continue that tradition. But reviewing storage food should really be a day to day part of any prepper networking. I tried a can of Keystone beef last night and decided to review it, but where? Food? Product reviews? So look for that soon on this board. I'm hoping having a special place for it will encourage people to try and report on their storage food.

And naturally, though I haven't said anything to him or anyone else - elandil is the obvious choice for moderator - so... congratulations! and surprise!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:39:43 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

Re: New board - Storage Food Reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »
Yep, he's the perfect choice!

I vote that when he has time, he moves all his previous stuff to this board.  He's done a lot of good work on checking out things & writing reviews, it would be awesome to have them all in one place.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

elandil

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »
Yep, he's the perfect choice!

I vote that when he has time, he moves all his previous stuff to this board.  He's done a lot of good work on checking out things & writing reviews, it would be awesome to have them all in one place.
already got started on the move. ;)
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 12:44:49 PM »
Auguson  Farms corn chowder, decent price, individual packets in the can and a good starter base for other chowders.  I added a can of corn.  This is a good base to use when say, you have a jar of mixed dehydrated vegetable, or really, anything you like to eat. 
Their oatmeal is on sale today, 60% off.  Review says it is not very sweet, but does come in individual mylar pacs, in the #10 can.  Flavor is that of instant oatmeal.  I would add some stored dried fruits, apples, dates and raisin, along with a little brown sugar.
I am hoping that people will start reviewing some of their stored food.  Here's one more.
Mountain House beef stroganoff,  It has a pretty good favor.  Problem is that Mountain house prices have gone through the roof and you can't get a lot of it.  Their Chili Mac is also good.  Yes, you can make this stuff, IF you can get it.
In short term, I like Polar canned salmon.  I have talked about it before.  Despite the pull off lid, the shelf life is like four years.

Surveyor1

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 02:39:52 PM »
Augason Farms and My Patriot Supply Hearty Potato Soup is excellent.  If you follow the directions on the packets the soup is pretty thick so you can add more water and stretch it out even farther.  Both are also very filling.  Another option is to make even thicker and it’s more like a creamy potato side!  We added cheese to make some pretty darn good augratin potatoes.
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 04:19:54 PM »
Tried Beyond Outdoor Meals this week.  We tried one Tuscan Sausage Pasta and one Orange Chicken.  They are on sale through My Patroit Supply.  Surveyor steered us toward them, with the long term honey wheat bread sale.  Right now, a packet of these is 9.95.  This makes a lunch for two
The sodium on the Tuscan sausage was 35% of daily recommended.  We TRY to avoid it, but understand, that unless I can it, we are victim to processed foods.    The orange chicken only had 19%, per servicing, which is good for long term freeze dried.  It was o.k.  as in average for storage food.  The Tuscan sausage was a nice change from other things we have tried.  We were spoiled by Mountain House, when you didn't have to get a second mortgage on the house, to lay it in.  I added 1/4 extra water, after reading the 5 star reviews.
There are new brands out there. We stumbled on this one when I ordered a NOVA radio and two head lights for downstairs.  The headlights (on sale), upon first introduction, appear to be really good.  They are comfortable, bright, and have a sensor turn on if you want it.
We are burning daylight, Pilgrims.  Time to prioritize what each of us is able to do, and get it done.  If you don't have your sugar, better grab it now. Remember white, raw, powdered and brown....Think of which you use and how you use them.  I wish I didn't   used them at all, but my grandmother turned me into a junkie, after going through the depression.  They called them "treats" not tooth decay or hyper-activity, ha!

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 05:30:37 PM »
Prices on Beyond went up since yesterday, now too high for what it is....Sorry!

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 08:23:01 PM »
MyPatriotSupply still had a couple selections on sale so I picked up a couple.  Then BePreparred had a 72 hour selection with 8 packs so I got that on the way also.  They will be good while traveling this Summer to have on hand just in case.  If you have not noticed the resturant selection is getting less and less.  So many going belly up these days and my get home bag has a cook stove to heat water. 

Abigayle

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 10:42:56 AM »
Auguston Farms had onion flakes for around 50% off on Amazon yesterday.

8greenbeans

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 08:22:25 AM »
Costco has Ready Wise containers (buckets) for $60/120 servings.

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal