Author Topic: Keystone All Natural Beef  (Read 2342 times)

Lilburner

Keystone All Natural Beef
« on: January 29, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »
Keystone meats are a staple of many prepping and survival stores. Looking at their website, they say they're in grocery stores, too, but I don't know that I've ever seen them there.

https://keystonemeats.com/ (There's also a cookbook for their products on the site)

I've been buying various cans - natural beef, pork, and ground beef for a while now. Mostly at TruPrep - they're competitive at $8.99 for a 28 oz can. Having beef on hand seems like just a great idea, but I've never tried it. So last night I cracked open a can of Natural Beef. The "Natural" is to distinguish it from ground beef - it's like a can of bland pot roast. I say bland, but not in a bad way. It has no specific flavor other than "beef" because it's meant to be made in to things, and you wouldn't want a predetermined flavor profile. It's here I realize I should have taken a picture. It was a liquidy can of what would best be described as "pot roast chunks". the liquid was broth from cooking - not overly watery. Room temperature beef fat, of which there were some bits, is never appetizing looking, but also good and necessary to have a complete beef product.

I tried a bare, unadorned, room temperature piece to evaluate on it's own. Just a salty beef flavor as I mentioned, but here's the problem. It's DRY AS HELL. Trying to chew and process a "chunk" was pretty awful. The flavor was fine, but the texture and mouthfeel were just horrid. I honestly don't know if this is an unavoidable side effect of canning beef inthis manner, or if it's a problem with this particular product.

ALL IS NOT LOST! The secret  for rescuing dry meat is to eliminate biting and mouthfeel from the equation - I folded in some refried beans and salsa, and fork tossed it until it was largely texture free. I added cheese and heated it up a bit.

The flavor wasn't bad - and frankly it was a pretty nice little quick dinner. I mostly enjoyed it. I say "mostly" because of the time or two I bit into a bit that wasn't "pureed" enough that I actually bit it and was reminded of the awfulness that was the texture.

The recipe on the can suggested making pot roast with it by putting it in with raw vegetables and cooking it til the vegetables were done. Really? NO.

So - ***, I suppose - three stars for tasting good and adding real beef to dishes suited for it, but stars subtracted for never, EVER wanting to bite into it. I'll keep it as a prep and even continue to buy it, but with these factors in mind.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

Re: Keystone All Natural Beef
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:43:23 PM »
I have found that issue in home canning with certain CUTS of beef.

No issue with chuck roasts, rib eyes,  sirloin or even hamburger made into meatloaf.  Eye of the round roast is EXACTLY  how you described this.  Got a deal on one & will never be tempted again - but I should have known, I don't like eye round, anyway.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

elandil

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 12:21:47 PM »
in my experience, best thing I've found to do with Eye of Round is make Jerky...it's naturally lean and lends itself greatly to smoking and drying.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

ProGeek

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 12:23:05 PM »
Have you tried Hormel roast beef and gravy? It may be similar. I've had it. More of a pot roast too. Kind of bland. It's good in burritos or with over noodles (with added bouillon and pepper).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hormel-Roast-Beef-Gravy-12-oz/10291003
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Searchboss

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 12:44:36 PM »
Not long ago I bought a can of the Hormel roast beef and gravy and a can of Great Value (Walmart Brand) roast beef and gravy to try for short term preps. So far I have only tried the Great Value brand. I found it similar to what Lilburner described. It would probably go fine with something else to give it more flavor and texture. I will have to try the Hormel brand soon for comparison. While not my first choice, either would probably be welcomed in a meal if nothing else was available.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal