Author Topic: I hope you are better preparred  (Read 1440 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
I hope you are better preparred
« on: December 10, 2018, 08:41:17 AM »
I got an email from a friend in the NC mountains, an elderly man.  It came with many pictures I have not attached here.  This is how the average Joe is not very well prepared.  He is talking about the storm that just passed thru.
"It started  on friday with rain all day. then around 4:30 PM it sleeted then it was
on from then until this morning. I measured it and it was 9", sleeted and rained
after that. Duke Power called and asked if we had power ? if so press one on your
phone. I did and 5 min later we lost power They said there were 8,000 people in
Haywood County without power.  We lost power around noon and was without heat and
electricity until 4 pm. I had my Mr Buddy Heater  hooked up about 5 minutes before
the power was restored. Was going to camper to get my Coleman 2 burner stove in
order to cook a bite for supper. We never miss anything until it's gone. Take a lot
for granted !  Our neighbor up the road has been without any power since last night
at 11PM and is still out at 7:30 PM tonight. He has a round portable kerosene heater
he is using for heat. We are supposed to get more snow between now and sometime
tomorrow. Take Care, stay warm.Tommie & Judi"
I read this and I immediately think CO hazzard.??  He is a camper so has a camp stove.

John Galt 1

Re: I hope you are better preparred
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 10:18:51 AM »
Big Buddy heater is rated to be safe indoors.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 10:31:55 AM »
He must be new to the mountains...……..snow & losing power are an every year occurrence up there.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:58:46 AM »
He must be new to the mountains...……..snow & losing power are an every year occurrence up there.
Oh yes, he has a buddy heater for heat and a camp stove to cook and a portable generator he uses with his camper. 
I just kind of think of them as fuel supply is finite.  It will soon run out.  I guess I prep for the long term which also suffices for the short term.

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 11:18:33 AM »
Big Buddy heater is rated to be safe indoors.

Mine is TOO sensitive. I was super cold at the spring campout because it wouldn't run more than about 10 minutes, even with the vent open.

At least *I* didn't start a fire in my trailer with mine, like a certain *coughcough* fireman.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 11:58:36 AM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

John Galt 1

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »
Maybe it would work better in a larger room instead of your trailer.... or perhaps your snoring blows it out.      ;D

I've got one that I loan out during ice storms and it's worked well in several homes.         Big Buddy heaters get hot on their bottoms so I tell people to not set them on linoleum or carpet floors.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal