Author Topic: I love it when company comes  (Read 1254 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
I love it when company comes
« on: February 12, 2020, 10:26:46 AM »
My wife's sister is coming to visit today.  Tomorrow they are going quilt store shopping.  What I like about it is the wife cook up a meal fit for a King.  She took a pork roast out of the freezer yesterday.  This morning she seared it in a skillet and put it in a crock pot to slow cook.  I suggested she add onions.  A couple years ago we canned onions in pint jars.  There is probably a picture on here somewhere.  These are multiplying onions, so we cut off the roots, clipped the tops off so they would stand up in pint jars and ran them thru the pressure cooker to seal them. 
She also made a chocolate cake with cream cheese icing that had ground up Hersey chocolate  w/ almonds candy bar.
She also made cinnamon rolls with added blue berries so we would have something to go with breakfast.  The bread machine was humming this morning.

tlwagg

Re: I love it when company comes
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »
You will be eating high on the hog tonight.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 10:56:10 AM »
Yum, those cinnamon rolls look so delicious! How good one would be with a cup of hot tea! Enjoy!
Ravenwood

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 11:21:52 AM »
Looks wonderful!  Now, where is a good source for the walking onions?  Please post a picture of them in in canning jar.  That is something I have yet to do.  I only dehydrate and keep some going in the garden for the ready.
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 12:05:38 PM »
Looks wonderful!  Now, where is a good source for the walking onions?  Please post a picture of them in in canning jar.  That is something I have yet to do.  I only dehydrate and keep some going in the garden for the ready.
These are multiplying onions (bunching onions) plant 1 in August and get a dozen in Dec/Jan.  I have loads of them to the point I till under some each year.  I can bring you some at Spring campout or you can come pick blueberries in June and get some.  They go to seed in Feb and are no good from now on until next crop.
Walking onions also known as Egyptian walking onions.  They form a bunch of sets on top, get heavy and fall over and root themselves. (Walking onions)  I have 12 of them I got a couple of months ago.  I am propagating them now and should have plenty of sets 4th quarter.
I can't find the picture of when I canned these.  They are several years old.  Here is a picture of 1 pint I took out of the storage closet.
Also a picture of this years row of multiplying onions.

Abigayle

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »
RWS, Thanks so much for this and for the offer.  We may take you up on it, for a short getaway.  Thorn is building a frame around our blueberries.  We have ten plants, that we planted  two years ago. I think they were year old plants, when we planted them.  Trying to prepare a bird cover over for them, as well as the nearby muscadine.  We also have miscellaneous grapes we planted on a fence line that divides the yard from the orchard (also put in two years ago).  So, at this point, we are hoping for lots of fruit, of various types this summer....but who knows....  You and your wife are amazing gardeners.  I have to learn how to post garden pictures on here to share.... Stay dry, our geese are even sitting under the trees.... (two wild geese, we feed).
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal