Author Topic: Christmas party planning  (Read 2238 times)

Lilburner

Christmas party planning
« on: November 12, 2020, 03:50:13 PM »
Kinda late to be talking about the Christmas party, but the room has been up in the air.

Well it's officially closed. 😔

Going to try for the Mexican restaurant we used two years ago unless anyone has a quick idea.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Christmas party planning
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »
This year there may be more attendees than can fit in that little area of the restaurant.

Put me in for 3 seats.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 08:28:40 AM by RWS »

Gunner

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 04:41:16 AM »
Im not sure where we stand on this right now..... But if his going to happen...Id like to put in for at least two (2) seats........
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 11:23:50 AM »
Thor and I have our provisions in place and will be sheltering in place until the numbers are way down.  We hate missing the party.  It was last year, when we got to put names and faces together and met so many really nice folks.  We will roast a duck, cook some of our corn off the cob, that was baked in cream and butter and have some greens and wild rice.  Hopefully, kids that had the virus in the past five months can come for Christmas. I have one big turkey, just in case.  I know you will have a good time and we will be thinking of you.
Ariel

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 12:53:25 PM »
Here's the challenge now.

The room we've been using is large with plenty of room to space out, and we keep the door open, and go in and out and get plenty of fresh air.

As RWS pointed out, the room at the Mexican restaurant is small. It will hold us and has before, but it's close quarters and no fresh air.

All of my resources for knowing about places are in Gwinnett and northeast of there. So I don't know any places in the target area.

My two thoughts now are to try to get a Golden Corral. They have large rooms, but make you wear a mask at the bar, and many people aren't back on restaurants yet.

And secondly, get a pavillion and hope for the best. The weather is a craps shoot. It's been 75+ at Christmas parties, and we've had to postpone one due to an ice storm.

What are y'all thinking?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

upacreek

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 02:26:13 PM »
If you guys are up for traveling to Acworth, my HOA has a community building that's free to use (depending on the day/hour).  Might as well see the silver lining in living in an HOA while I have it.  It has outdoor and indoor seating, a kitchen, and grills outside.  Parking for at least 40 cars plus street parking.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Rockhopper

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 09:15:13 PM »
I would be willing to go to Ackworth.

Rockhopper

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 09:16:05 PM »
Sorry for the spelling I mean Acworth

Searchboss

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 09:25:48 PM »
If you guys are up for traveling to Acworth, my HOA has a community building that's free to use (depending on the day/hour). 

Upacreek, yours is a kind offer and sounds like a great location for those who live in NW Georgia. As much as I would enjoy seeing everyone again, I believe that location is not as suitable for those members who live in Middle Georgia or South Georgia. It would be a very long drive for some of us. I realize we have to use what is available. If this is the best place to have the party I am afraid that we will not be able to attend this year. Regardless, press on with the planning and let's hope everything works out.

florida44

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 02:40:47 PM »
I am sure we could access our clubhouse in our sub as well here in Cumming but I agree with Searchboss, those in the lower half of the state would really have a long commute. Another idea is to go to Cedar Creek and a bunch of us bring Ez Ups ( I have 3) and set up an outdoor kitchen for the day for those needing to heat something up and call it good. Even if we are eating slightly cool dishes we can distance and have some privacy. But just an idea, or Charlie Elliott where there are bathrooms close by or some other park pavilon that has bathrooms
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

ProGeek

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 03:15:30 PM »
The wife and I will attend as long as we are in town.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Searchboss

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 12:23:22 PM »
Another idea is to go to Cedar Creek and a bunch of us bring Ez Ups ( I have 3) and set up an outdoor kitchen for the day for those needing to heat something up and call it good. Even if we are eating slightly cool dishes we can distance and have some privacy. But just an idea, or Charlie Elliott where there are bathrooms close by or some other park pavilon that has bathrooms

Given the lateness of finalizing the location this year, this might be a good idea. Charlie Elliott (preferred due to close restrooms) or (cedar creek - no facilities) are in a somewhat central location and may allow us to have an outside event (someone will have to check before a decision is made). All we really need for this option is a large open area to set up in. Obviously the weather - temperature and rain - may be an issue, but if they cooperate this could work. I have two 10' square canopies and a folding table I can bring as well as a camping stove to heat/cook on if this would help. Everyone would need to bring their own camping/folding chairs.

Gunner

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 03:27:40 AM »
Im still in for two seats.... I wont let the COVID beat me or my fellow preppers... Be it Ackworth or a campground... Christmas or BUST!!!!! we need to be a truly united group, lets be supportive of this event as we always have been!

U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

Lilburner

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 10:08:34 AM »
OK! Pencil us in!

Same place (Panola Mtn State Park), but outdoors.

Sat Dec 12, 1:00

Kinda late notice, and we're beholding to the weather, but we've had a lot of setbacks. (even the Mexican restaurant is capping parties at 6).

Farside is reserving the pavillion. Details to follow.

We'll have access to restrooms but not a kitchen. We'll find out the outlet situation.

Of course if it's 12 degrees we'll have to call it, but we can make some special arrangements if it's borderline. I can bring tarps to hang for a windbreak and I have a construction site bullet heater.

I can bring anything from a butane burner to a full camp stove if anyone's adept at making hot chocolate. That would be a nice touch.

~ Daniel Webster

florida44

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 06:12:32 PM »
I can bring our camp chef, plug in heaters if there is power or a tent buddy. With tarps and few heaters spread around it will be toasty
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal