Author Topic: New to Region 2  (Read 5595 times)

Abigayle

Re: New to Region 2
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2023, 11:15:31 AM »
R.W.S.  They eat snails (slugs) small rodents....The balance of nature.  If you were starting an aquatic project, with small fish, they would be of concern if allowed to venture in that water. 
When I was young, my Romanian grandfather and I found one near the well. After I was allowed to hold it, he told me to let it go, that they were good.  Grandpa understood the ground and worked it all his life.  So, in respect to the great knowledge of my grandfather, who had no formal education, I would let them go....But that's just me.  They can clear out a new litter of mice in no time.  Mrs. R.W.S. might start naming them....
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2023, 02:44:21 PM »
I cut the lines to the tank and turned it over to get them all out.  Then I installed unions to make it easier to clean the spring box.  I just had a contractor over to look at digging several ditches across the driveway.  He told me to take the intake pipe out and put a screen wire over it to keep the salamanders out.  I can do that because I already have a union there.

John Galt 1

« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2023, 05:25:13 PM »
Starlink put me off until Fall next year. :'(
Looks like it will be a little longer.  SpaceX's last launch blew up after liftoff.
"SpaceX launched the largest and most powerful rocket in history Thursday morning from southern Texas.

RWS,     After dealing with Windstream's crappy internet for years we went to the T-mobile store yesterday.      T-Mobile's website says they don't offer internet in this area but the local store gave us a router to try for 2 weeks for $35 which we are now playing with.   
We've been trying it around the house getting speeds from 4 mps to 60 mps depending on which window we place it at. 

$50 a month and much faster than Windstream.

just my 2 cents.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2023, 05:51:07 PM »
There is no cell service here from any vendor.  My internet is starlink.  Much faster than my home DSL. 

John Galt 1

« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2023, 08:18:37 AM »
I've tried to sign up for starlink but not available at this time.      It's expensive too.

Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Abigayle

« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2023, 11:07:29 AM »
RW.S. You might want to look into purchasing the router.  We rent ours from Verizon, only because we are expecting a new and better service through here in the fall. 
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2023, 07:45:44 PM »
The neighbor lady came over last evening and told us to carry a big stick when we go out walking.  We had been for a walk.  She said a big cat got all the chickens at a place just over a small ridge from here.  She said it is most likely a mountain lion.  After lunch today I noticed movement in the field near the camper.  At first I thought it was 2 young turkeys but the color was more brown than black.  I think they were pheasants.  Anyway as they walked thru they were picking seeds off the grasses at about knee height. This is a wild and wooley place.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2023, 05:47:47 PM »
I got an excellent water report from UGA.   Soft Water !  Can you believe it ?  In the mountains.......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal