Author Topic: Food Disruptions  (Read 2177 times)

Surveyor1

Food Disruptions
« on: May 21, 2021, 01:44:42 PM »
I’ve been saying that what is going on right now is “The Perfect Storm” for inflation and supply shortages.  This guy is basically saying the same but providing documentation and worldwide resources.  45 minutes long but very informative and well worth the watch.

Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

Re: Food Disruptions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 10:51:45 AM »
Cream cheese, limit 2 per person.  Upside, good shelf life and you can freeze it!  Large store had three on shelf this week.  Others are telling me they are finding the same thing.  We have not posted noted shortages lately, so please share your experiences.
Ariel

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 01:09:23 PM »
Lots of store brands (WM, Sams, Kroger, etc) are sold out on meat & veggie cans, crackers, other non-perishables and the less expensive frozen items.  I expect that's due to the prices rising.   Not food related but they are out of bath tissue again, too.   No limit - just OUT.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 01:16:51 PM »
Survoyer1 you are mean!  That video made me want to go and order more seeds. go buy a couple more bags of fertilizer and some more pesticides for my garden.  The urge passed when the wife caught me putting the truck keys in my pocket and chewed me out, saying  "We have enough of that stuff and need to save our money"..................

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 03:16:46 PM »
R.W.S. No worries, I think you went out and bought a lot more 120 days ago when Survivor 1 first posted this....In fact, I am sure you did, just ask Mrs. R.W.S.  Better be good, or she will pull the spark plugs on your truck.
Star Lady, I noticed that as well, no canned chicken, or small hams.  I have been watching for regular oysters, for stew on Christmas Eve, no luck.  Sometimes the fresh ones are really strong.  I have not seen any Polar brand smoked trout, in the black can, but I have not been to Walmart in a long time.
Bountry Hunter, Thor just went to straight Jack last week, as a preppier precaution.  It is an acquired taste!
Not a lot of real juice on the shelves, just sugar water.  I am glad I still have about a dozen grape juice that I made the season before this one.

coastiemike

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 07:30:39 PM »
R.W.S. No worries, I think you went out and bought a lot more 120 days ago when Survivor 1 first posted this....In fact, I am sure you did, just ask Mrs. R.W.S.  Better be good, or she will pull the spark plugs on your truck.
Star Lady, I noticed that as well, no canned chicken, or small hams.  I have been watching for regular oysters, for stew on Christmas Eve, no luck.  Sometimes the fresh ones are really strong.  I have not seen any Polar brand smoked trout, in the black can, but I have not been to Walmart in a long time.
Bountry Hunter, Thor just went to straight Jack last week, as a preppier precaution.  It is an acquired taste!
Not a lot of real juice on the shelves, just sugar water.  I am glad I still have about a dozen grape juice that I made the season before this one.

Every time we’ve gone to Costco, they have plenty of canned meats with no limits.  Includes tuna, roast beef, Chicken, Pulled pork, Vienna sausage, etc..  just fyi if anyone still needs some for their stocks.

We did find a good many canned hams at Walmart last time we were there so stocked up on those.

bountyhunter

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 12:37:54 PM »
I went to the Commissary last week and the dairy section was pert near bare! One section of the meat area was bare. No limits on anything that I seen. Produce was well stocked as was the canned goods section . Plenty of bread etc.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Abigayle

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 01:00:56 PM »
Went to Publics today to fill in on fresh vegetables, as each place I have been recently looked pretty bare, or long in the tooth...for a veggie
I found a few things like nice broc and asparagus, but you had to look for it.  We are tired of lettuce, kale and Bok Choy, which is what has been available in our small existing garden, that we built since the move.
Like Ravenwood, I noticed the pasta was really picked over. Last week, I went to replace the items I needed to make my own laundry soap and none were available.  Good thing I just made four months worth.  The shelves of laundry items, like Tide were as picked over as I have seen.  It was the same for fabric softener.  Other cleaning supplies looked pretty good.  The was lots of lettuce, but it had just been stocked when I got there.  I needed Ginger, it was scarce.  Many herb slots were empty.  Juice was picked over, except for orange, in the cooler section.  Cream cheese was still gone, not a good selection of cheeses.  They had some chicken thighs and breasts, one small package of wings.  Most of the chicken area had been filled with things like turkey legs.  Many items were pushed forward of the shelf.  Campbells soup was 1.89 a can!!! Plenty of bread.  Everything is very high but they did have a few buy one/get one,
Ariel

BennyMG1

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 04:27:23 PM »
I went to the Commissary last week and the dairy section was pert near bare! One section of the meat area was bare. No limits on anything that I seen. Produce was well stocked as was the canned goods section . Plenty of bread etc.

Our commissary was pretty good when I was there last week. My shopping day is this coming Tuesday. I’ll report what I find.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Surveyor1

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 04:29:54 PM »

Our commissary was pretty good when I was there last week. My shopping day is this coming Tuesday. I’ll report what I find.

Isn’t today Tuesday 🤔?  You do every 2 weeks, right?
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

BennyMG1

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 04:32:52 PM »
Yes, every two weeks.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Abigayle

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2022, 05:43:37 PM »
Feeding your chickens and other critters is not only more expensive, but may be getting more difficult to do.  I ordered starter/grower crumbles for my chickens today, at a Tractor Supply store in a decent sized town.  Sent my son to get them.  When they emailed me, regarding what I would be picking up, two of the items we're missing.  The most important was the starter/grower food.  When I tried to replace it, I was told they were out of all of it.  I will try my little co-op on Tues morning.  They had layer pallets, my girls prefer crumbles, but I will get the pallets and girl it a try.  These were layer.  The girls that lay first won't even start for a few weeks, but I wanted to have them on hand.
By the way, don't even think about replacing your steak dinner with meal worms (I know you were considering it), they are about the same price per pound.  It just gets "bleakyer and bleacher".

nj_m715

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2022, 10:54:35 PM »
crumble has been out for a couple weeks at a time for me too
I have a tractor supply and a little family farm store, usually one of them has a bag

I try to stay a couple months ahead. a 50lb bag fits into 2 5gal buckets
I keep it in the cool crawl space under the house
I held some up to 6 months, it didn't mold or smell rancid
I don't know how far I can push it, but 6 months is ok

Abigayle

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 10:56:08 AM »
nj-Good information....I sent Thor to town last week and he forgot to stop for the grain order I sent with him (she says, with fire in her eyes).  I have tried pellets over the years, but my birds have never liked then.  There would be less waste and I think they might keep longer. In almost fifty years of chicken keeping, I have never had any go bad, but the south is  hot and humid (in case some of you missed that).  I am thinking of giving up a little freezer space for some, by cracking pecans and putting them in smaller bags.  Of course when T.S.H.T.F.  that will be over..
I gave my chickens a black seed starter flat of hull free oats, that I planted a little over a week ago.  They were four inches tall.  Eight large birds finished them off in about twenty minutes.  I only have one left for next week, but will try to order more.  Thanks for sharing your information.  I have corn, in water, that I put in cupcake tins, for their hot afternoon treat.  I use salt free corn, and don't give them very much since corn has heat. I throw in a sliver of garlic once a week, in each frozen cup.
Ariel

8greenbeans

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 09:25:21 PM »
IceAgeFarmer has been pretty spot on the last 3 years that I've been watching his videos... even when I thought his predictions were off kilter and far-fetched, they've turned out to be pretty much exactly as he called it.

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal