Author Topic: Another Review: this time “pants”  (Read 1648 times)

BennyMG1

Another Review: this time “pants”
« on: September 08, 2021, 05:25:12 AM »
Those of you who know me well, know that, if I’m not wearing scrubs, I’m wearing work clothes. And by work clothes, I don’t mean jeans. Jeans are uncomfortable to me. I’ve tried many different work pants including Dickey, Carthart, Wrangler, and many others. After several years, I determined my workpants needed to be made of ripstop material, with large pockets, sturdy belt loops, durable  and, I’m kinda embarrassed to say, but a little elastic in the waist for some give. I also look for the best value.

Well, I’ve found a great pair of work pants that meet all of my criteria without breaking the bank. They are LAPG, Basic Operator Pants. They are made of a ripstop material that’s nice and thick. There’s two elastic areas in the waist for that little bit of give when stooping or bending. The belt loops are nice and wide and strong. The pockets are large including the cargo pockets. There is plenty of room in the crotch for movement. The price is around $40 per pair, but I’ve caught them on sale for $28.

One thing I notice on some recent ones I ordered is the D rings on the front of the pants are now plastic. They were made of metal on previous pairs I have.

Good, well built and very comfortable work pants that double as tactical pants and a decent price.

I’ve thought about trying those firehose pants but worry about comfort and they are a bit pricey.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Abigayle

Re: Another Review: this time “pants”
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 08:09:30 AM »
Benny, Good to know.  Where did you find them at the best price?  Do they make both men's and women's?
Ariel

Surveyor1

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 10:44:46 AM »
I got some of the firehouse pants and they are surprisingly comfortable!  I just kept watching for a sale and finally picked up a couple of pairs.  I would say more of a winter pant but they really work great for walking in briars!  For that reason alone I would highly recommend!  (Hey the Commander finally got you to quite buying your socks at Goodwill so maybe you could splurge and buy some briar busters🤔🤦‍♂️😂!)
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

BennyMG1

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 09:02:36 PM »
Abigayle, I ordered my last two pair from Amazon. Pretty sure Gall’s carries them as well as more suppliers to law enforcement.

BennyMG1

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 09:06:47 PM »
Hey Surveyor1, for the record, I haven’t darned a single pair of socks since I started wearing the Fox River. The Commander never understood why I would darn all my socks. I had to explain that those were the “dark times” when I was trying to squeeze every extra penny into prepping because I knew the collapse would happen “next month” and was pretty much having to keep the preparedness stuff under wraps.

Surveyor1

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 09:37:38 PM »
Hey Surveyor1, for the record, I haven’t darned a single pair of socks since I started wearing the Fox River. The Commander never understood why I would darn all my socks. I had to explain that those were the “dark times” when I was trying to squeeze every extra penny into prepping because I knew the collapse would happen “next month” and was pretty much having to keep the preparedness stuff under wraps.

😂😂🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤔🤔😳😳🤦‍♂️😂!  When you stop buying used underwear from the Thrift Store let me know and then I will truly know that you turned the corner!  I’ll never forget that time when we were walking and you found the old chocolate milk carton and convinced me that if you filled it 1/4 of the way with water that it would taste just like Yoohoo !!!  It really did taste like Yoohoo !!! The diarrhea was really forgettable but hey you were right, it did taste like Yoohoo !🤦‍♂️…. Ah, the memories 🤔😳🤔…
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

casserolejack

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 10:25:52 PM »
I like 5.11 Taclite Pro pants. They’ve been reasonably tough while staying flexible. They also have gusseted crotch if that matters to anyone. I don’t buy them straight from the 5.11 tho. Find your style and throw them in camel camel camel and get them on the occasional drop. Also they have like 12 colors if your particular.

Surveyor1

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 11:06:19 PM »
I like 5.11 Taclite Pro pants. They’ve been reasonably tough while staying flexible. They also have gusseted crotch if that matters to anyone. I don’t buy them straight from the 5.11 tho. Find your style and throw them in camel camel camel and get them on the occasional drop. Also they have like 12 colors if your particular.

Thank you CJ!  I’m not sure what a “Gusseted Crotch” is but I’ll be the first to say it sounds a whole lot better than a “barbed wire crotch”!!!🤔😳🤔…

Abigayle

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 04:10:58 PM »
Youhoo reminds me of the Harlan Corbin mysteries.  I am betting it is a reinforced croach....you can make your own by....oh....never mind....
When Thor and I were first married, he asked me if I would darn his socks.  He handed them to me, with a very pleased look on his face.  I tied them in a knot, and shook them while reciting "darn socks, darn socks, darn socks".  Them using some theatrics, I tossed them into the trash.  Had I tried to darn them, he would have walked around with a lump under his foot.  I really saved him!  I was also teaching and taking two grad classes at the time... of all the things I was not about to do, that one topped the list.
Ariel

BennyMG1

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 05:20:31 PM »
The last two pair of LAPG have the gussetted crotch.

The 511s are good pants. They are generally about $15 more a pair. I’m a cheap old bastard. My recommendations consider price also. For example, I previously recommended Fox River socks at around $16 a pair. The Darn Tough socks are a little better, but are SIGNIFICANTLY more per pair.

Surveyor1

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 10:18:05 PM »
Well I finally had to look up “gusseted crotch”.  Wow, I never knew!  While researching it was described as ABC Technology or “anti …. Crushing” technology!  I’ll have to check this out!  Thanks Casserole Jack!  I’ve been enlightened….

That being said, from what I’ve NOW read, don’t fret my female friends gusseting is good for the goose and the gander!!!  I’ve learned so much from Google tonight!  I won’t go into specifics but I’m sure that if you are here you have access to Google as well🤔😎🤦‍♂️…. 

Abigayle

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 08:51:01 AM »
Survivor, We use Duck Duck Go....No Google spying on us here!  Also, Google is not our friend, for many reasons...I.M.H.O.

BennyMG1

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 06:46:02 AM »
Update: I still love the LAPG pants but need to add that the last two pair I bought do have blousing strings. It was no big deal when I got them, but after wearing them a couple of times, I came to realize that the strings can be a bit annoying. My choices were to remove them or utilize them. If I removed them, I would also have to hem the pants. So I decided to leave them and just blouse the pants every time I wear them. As it turns out, it’s really not a big deal like I thought it would be. Plus...the Commander said she likes the look (imagine that) so the strings stay and these two pair get bloused every time I wear them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal