Author Topic: Awe “Crud Muffin”!!!  (Read 1317 times)

Surveyor1

Awe “Crud Muffin”!!!
« on: November 07, 2021, 01:39:52 PM »
I learned something today!  Fortunately before cutting any pipe I discovered the error of my ways! 

I have a small leak under my sink on the hot water shut off valve.  Hey no problem I said, I will just buy a new shut off valve, cut the pipe and replace, easy peasy right?  Well not so fast my friends…. Seems that when you are working with CPCV and not PVC that there is a difference in the outside diameter of the pipe?  It is a very nominal difference but it is a major difference!  There are actually 2 designations for 1/2 inch pipe size.  The CPVC can have a designation on it as CTS which means copper tubing size so it could work with your existing copper lines.  The outside diameter of this pipe is slightly smaller so the shutoff valve needs to specify the type of pipe using!  BEFORE I cut anything out I was fortunate to realize my valve was way too loose for my pipe!  Whew dodged a bullet there and since it’s Sunday in the sticks I will have to postpone my project for a day or so.  I feel blessed that I had a great mentor (RIP) that taught me to double check everything before cutting anything, the old “measure twice cut once” advice is invaluable!!!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

nj_m715

Re: Awe “Crud Muffin”!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 05:44:12 PM »
shark bite fittings fit cpvc, copper, pex and the old grey poly "pex" pipes

they're expensive but easy to use and are removable / reusable
think about buying at least a couple caps for emergency 2am repairs.

there's no soldering, glue or crimping and you can even shove them into a pipe with water still running

Surveyor1

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 07:15:59 PM »
Thanks NJ, I’m looking those up right now!!!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 08:09:47 PM »
Shark Bite is what I use on all my PEX installations.   I have even hooked copper to copper with a Shark Bite tube to tube fitting.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal