Author Topic: Cell phone service  (Read 3593 times)

tlwagg

Cell phone service
« on: January 26, 2022, 01:59:00 PM »
A while back we had a post about a service that made it possible for people who lived outside normal cell phone coverage range to receive service. Does anyone know what that was?
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Surveyor1

Re: Cell phone service
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 02:17:26 PM »
Not sure what is out there but I work from home and had no service (not doable)…. I bought a cell phone booster which is basically a repeater and it has been “adequate” for my needs.  There has to be a signal outside (even if basically not useable, I switched off my bars and used the signal numbers to determine I was getting something).  Directional antenna aimed toward the nearest tower location and it brings the signal into the house and amplifies it to a usable signal.  Not great but it has enabled me to work from a dead area.
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

crplhood

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 02:35:16 PM »
Sounds like a cell booster. They are far more rare in homes not since both Android and iPhone have native call-over-wifi. If you can't do the latter, the large service providers sell the boosters. Prepaid providers generally don't sell them in my experience.

tlwagg

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 02:50:15 PM »
It may be a booster but there is a company who comes out and sets up cell or internet. I know someone who has it but I have to wait until next week to ask. 
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Starlady

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 05:41:30 PM »
I can tell you that as of 2 years go, Verizon doesn't do it anymore.   You have to buy and set up your own booster.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 07:22:23 PM »
All we could do with Verizon, was rent a jet pack.  They start at  30.00 a month, and ours ran out before the month was up.  At this point it runs slower.  We added another five dollars a month.  Since we have unlimited minutes, so they cut the price in half.  You can really boost it with another 50.00 a month, but we did not want to pay that.  We can not stream out here, so it would just be for U-tube type usage.  This house already had a boost of some kind on the outside of the house.  Until Verizon comes down the road further, or A.T.&T. extends theirs.....thats all she wrote.
Ariel

Rockhopper

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 09:20:48 AM »
Has anyone gotten or used Elon Musk's Starlink yet? He offers cell and internet service that operates off satellites. Some models are entirely portable and can be taken into the woods. I haven't had time to look into it further yet, but it's coming up on my list if we don't collapse before then.
https://odysee.com/@TwoBitDaVinci:a/starlink-satellite-internet-explained:1

Rockhopper

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 09:23:41 AM »
Note the above video is on odysee.com the new YouTube since they are NOT censoring people. I'll repost below:
https://odysee.com/@TwoBitDaVinci:a/starlink-satellite-internet-explained:1

Starlady

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 10:17:08 AM »
Myself and at least one other Region 1 member are on the waiting list for this area.   They seem to be launching to cover lateral "bands".  The northern US was first and results from people up there are great compared to ANY of the existing satellite companies.   My understanding from Starlink's last email is that we should be up in the next 3-4 months, which is about 7-8 months later than they had said when I 1st signed up.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 12:46:33 PM »
I am on the waiting list also for Starlink.  After testing and after I have a place in Region 2, I will move it up there.  May be easier said than done though.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 06:32:23 PM »
I just got an email from starlink and confirmed my order.  They will ship this Friday to arrive Tuesday 2-8-22.

I misinterpreted what they said, I guess.  I got a notice from FedEX said they picked up a package for me and it would be here Friday 2-4-22.  Tracing said Carson, Ca.  My assumption is that is my Starlink package.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 06:35:49 PM by RWS »

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 01:10:53 PM »
So, This morning I got busy to prepare a place for the antenna.  Well I have an 80ft Rohn 25G tower attached to the back of my house.  Of course I do, I have been a ham radio operator for almost 50 yrs and I built my own house.   The Starlink antenna needs to be mounted on top of the tower so that it has open horizons.  So this morning I climbed the tower and took down a mast that was sticking out the top of the tower to make room for the Starlink antenna.  I thought I would need to construct an adapter to be able to mount the antenna to the top flat plate on my tower.  I have a spare 40ft Rohn 25 out in the woods so I put the bed extender on my truck and drove out to retrieve the top section to use as a pattern.  I removed the existing pipe mount and prepared to go to town to get some flat bar to make an adapter.  By this time the wife is putting lunch on the table.  After lunch I watched a couple of Youtube videos about installing the Starlink system because I did not want to go to the welding shop during the lunch hour and disturb their lunch hour.  Good thing.  Seems Starlink has several ways to mount the antenna.  One being a pipe mount.  So I put the truck back under the shelter to gather some more dust and will wait to see what I have to work with first. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 06:24:53 AM by RWS »

Surveyor1

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 03:39:15 PM »
I just got an email from starlink and confirmed my order.  They will ship this Friday 2-4-22.

I misinterpreted what they said, I guess.  I got a notice from FedEX said they picked up a package for me and it would be here Friday 2-4-22.  Tracing said Cuperintino, Ca.  My assumption is that is my Starlink package.

Good Luck if it’s coming through FedEx out of Macon!  Those Bozo’s couldn’t find an ugly woman at a democratic fundraiser!😳🤔🤦‍♂️!  Sorry I shouldn’t give them too much grief, the have gotten 3 out of 10 deliveries correct!  If they were a baseball player that would be a Hall of Fame career!😎
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Surveyor1

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 03:40:52 PM »
I just got an email from starlink and confirmed my order.  They will ship this Friday 2-4-22.

I misinterpreted what they said, I guess.  I got a notice from FedEX said they picked up a package for me and it would be here Friday 2-4-22.  Tracing said Cuperintino, Ca.  My assumption is that is my Starlink package.

Good Luck if it’s coming through FedEx out of Macon!  Those Bozo’s couldn’t find an ugly woman at a democratic fundraiser!😳🤔🤦‍♂️!  Sorry I shouldn’t give them too much grief, they have gotten 3 out of 10 deliveries correct!  If they were a baseball player that would be a Hall of Fame career!😎

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 06:38:38 PM »
It has been raining today and I have stayed in for the most part.  I watched several youtube videos about Starlink.  It appears I will be getting Generation 2 (Gen2) which has a rectangular antenna instead of a round one.  Anyway the linked video will explain it better than I can.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal