Author Topic: Learning post survival skills as a hobby  (Read 2714 times)

Wabbit

Learning post survival skills as a hobby
« on: October 31, 2015, 08:49:30 AM »
When I first became interested in preparing for an abnormal event (hurricane, emp, WWIII) , I was so overwhelmed by how much there was to learn that I found myself going in circles.  I think we are all learning a little bit about gardening, snares, emergency medicine etc,  but something that probably is not  thought about much is, until thing begin to stabilize after the abnormal event, other than  bartering for small things once you are in personal need, what post-EMP skills do you have that people would be will "pay you" for doing for them on a regular basis? 
My current profession would probably not earn me a sack of old seed potatoes a  month.  The good news is that I can sew & I have a 1890's Singer Machine that actually works.   
But as food for thought, what will your "job" or "profession" be when there are no warehouse positions,  secretaries, retail sales positions or telemarketing CEO or executive VP opportunities available? 
"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is NOT out there to kill you. "  (Mel Gibson~Conspiracy Theory)

Nemo

Re: Learning post survival skills as a hobby
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 09:47:26 AM »
A real good place to learn much about many other things that will be valuable then.

Nemo

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/cmps_index.php
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 12:57:17 PM »
Yeah, won't be much use for accountants, either.  But I can sew & have lots of multi size patterns for male/female.  I can knit, crochet, bake bread/muffins, etc. from scratch grains with or without yeast.  I can imagine that a fresh loaf of bread will be worth quite a bit!

My winter project this year (which has been put off for at least 2 yrs) is to learn soap making.  And to get my range built!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 10:03:44 PM »
I want to learn that too Starlady, darn the miles between us! One of my hens, the one that sat on and hatched the chicks finished her molt and laid an egg yesterday. Hopefully the other two will soon be done and back to laying as I am having to buy eggs the last 3 weeks.
Ravenwood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal