Author Topic: Animal Antibiotics Targeted by FDA  (Read 743 times)

Starlady

Animal Antibiotics Targeted by FDA
« on: April 08, 2022, 11:02:59 AM »
For those who raise animals and have no nearby animal vet (or don't wish to turn a $10 chicken into a $200 one), the FDA is removing the remaining antibiotics left to us.    In 2017 they took the feed and water applications without a vet 'scrip away from us and now they are going for the rest.   Effective 6/2023, the most commonly used injectables will also be restricted to vet 'scrip with a provable relationship with that vet.    Unfortunately, most antibiotics have an x-date 1 year out so stocking up now might not be wise -  but waiting till next January will probably find them not even available OTC.  From a quick search, it does not appear that the aquatic animal A/Bs are affected. ;)

Herbal remedies help and are sometimes successful but not always and usually not against respiratory ailments -which chickens get if you look at them wrong.   Ducks are more hardy but just as prone to bumblefoot  - which can become systemic and kill poultry if not treated.  Sometimes you NEED a good A/B as bumblefoot is a staph infection.

Food control.

https://www.drovers.com/news/industry/new-antibiotic-restrictions-soon-become-reality?fbclid=IwAR1Q6cAscs-JHTPFOj4EwLOyE0nTs_ndLFiZ-pTioTMflGHDNVZuByINtE4
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 07:03:26 PM by Starlady »
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

Re: Animal Antibiotics Targeted by FDA
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 12:19:06 PM »
Star Lady, Do you get yours on line at this time?  I have never ordered it.
Ariel

nj_m715

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 06:28:29 PM »
I never used injections but I have some pills

if anyone isn't familiar with it, check out the "shelf life extension program"
I haven't found a complete copy of it, the govt did a good job of scrubbing it from the interzones
but from what I could piece together pills seem to last a very long time while liquids didn't do as well
some pills degraded over a long period of time, but still had some effect and no pills became dangerous / poisonous 
but I couldn't find info on exactly which pills weakened and which didnt

I have ordered from here:
https://www.calvetsupply.com/
they have rotating sales so check back every month or couple weeks for deals
usually the large bottles are cheaper per pill, but not always depending on the sales so do the math

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 07:14:41 PM »
There's a number of places selling A/Bs for aquatics, prices have gone nuts in the past couple of years along with everything else - but I've no doubt, .gov will find a way to block them eventually.   Be careful on Amazon, a LOT of stuff pops up in searches but almost 1/2 of it is herbal stuff.

I need to expand out some of the A/B lines I'm still missing and plan to do that soon. 

Pills will need to be crushed, watered and injected (using a large-ish needle) into something the animal likes to eat.   Grapes, for example, are beloved by both chickens and ducks.   It's almost not possible to get that fluid into a syringe and out a fine needle so you'll need to know if the A/B needs to be intramuscular or ingested, although some intramuscular do work when ingested.  Putting something in duck water is not a good idea as they rinse eyes and nares with it - plus splash it all the heck all over the place, so they won't be getting the dose you want.  Chickens are more controllable.    I've been lucky so far, while I have the supplies, I haven't yet had to stick any of my kids, and I dread the day.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 07:23:43 PM »
Colloidal Silver????  I know a women who raised parrots for thirty years and swore by it.  We have used it ourselves, with success.
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal