Author Topic: Canning lids  (Read 1321 times)

Ravenwood1950

Canning lids
« on: May 10, 2022, 01:33:24 PM »
I have plenty of canning lids, but my practice is to purchase one each wide mouth and regular mouth box of lids every time I see them.
Yesterday while picking up some milk, I bought one of each. Never ever did I think wide mouth lids would cost $4.40 plus tax to purchase.
Thank you good Lord for teaching me to stock ahead for necessary things.
Ravenwood

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Canning lids
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 01:41:54 PM »
Canning season is upon us.  I suggested to the wife this morning that we start canning potatoes.  She has been digging up a few hills each morning lately.  She asked, pints or quarts?  I said pints because we can polish onn one jar per meal.  Quarts takes two meals or company.  I am shur we will can both.  We also can some small potatoes in with green beans.  Our green beans are just starting to bloom.  In fact, I just came in from weeding 4 rows of green beans.  We usually only plany 1 or 2 rows and some years, none.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 03:18:27 PM »
The last canning jar lids (Flats) that I bought were .25 per box (25 cents).  The store had on a sale as they were no longer going to carry canning jars & Lids.  I bought out their complete stock.  Several cases.  I figured they had a pretty good shelf life if stored properly.

jimLE

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 06:35:38 PM »
I have several of the metal canning lids. I've also bought 3 boxes of tatler lids with rings.and labels.and I don't know how many cases of one pint jars.i need to get back into canning.
be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6..
expect and prepare for the worst.and hope for the best..

Surveyor1

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 02:57:58 PM »
Just saw this at Walmart online.  $8.95 for Ball quart jars delivered!  I’m guessing someone messed up since picture is of pints but description is quarts.  I ordered and will see if they ship?  If so, great deal!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Glass-Mason-Jars-with-Lids-Bands-Regular-Mouth-32-oz-12-Count/14234955
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 04:22:54 PM »
When thinking about canning this year.  You might want to think about any dry canning that you might want to do.  One good example is crackers.  Unless you want to make your own, dry canning a dozen quart jars just makes sense.  I went years, with the quarts and they stayed fresh.  When I went to half gallons (which I only did once, fast learner), they had a taste I can only describe as spoiled....just off.
Dry canning is good for protecting your beans and rice, if you want  to open small quantities at a time, and have storage room.  Those who have never done it might want to check it our on line.  I am a fan of The Canning Diva, and her methods.  Just check out someone you have trusted for other methods of food storage.  It takes a lot of jars to feed your small village... I also use the attachment to my food saver in this process.
Ariel

Surveyor1

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 01:27:10 PM »
Just saw this at Walmart online.  $8.95 for Ball quart jars delivered!  I’m guessing someone messed up since picture is of pints but description is quarts.  I ordered and will see if they ship?  If so, great deal!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Glass-Mason-Jars-with-Lids-Bands-Regular-Mouth-32-oz-12-Count/14234955

As suspected they shipped me pint jars, which I can use as well.  I didn’t want to return because $8.98 was a good price for pints as well but would have been a great price for quarts!  I called to complain so the credited me back $1.30 per case so $7.68 for 12 Ball pint jars is a great deal! 
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal