Author Topic: SHRINKFLATION  (Read 1209 times)

Abigayle

SHRINKFLATION
« on: June 08, 2022, 11:57:40 AM »
Post  cereal, down 17% product in a box on honey roasted oats, Folger 7.5 less oz per can Angel Soft toilet  paper 105 less less for roll (that's a lot of wipes! 420 squares per 4 pack) Some candies down 20% per package.  These are just the latest.  I am sure that I am not the only one who looks into a box or bag and asks out loud "WHAT?"  Maybe the questions should be where?  Where did our leadership go?  Is you watch the produce department, you will notice things that sell by the bag, like onions, apples, carrots....often contain fewer items for the same price.
I put an order in my cart at Kroger this week, using coupons and buying sales, like buy one get one free beef roast.  I wanted to double check the larder before placing the order. When I got back to it, two days had passed and my total was up 32.00.  No coupons had expired, it was all due to price increase.  It was a large order, over 300.00 because I don't like to shop often, but that was a chunk of change. I thought they should show a price change before checkout, Walmart will say "No longer available at this price", and show the new price.  A big jump at Walmart, was kettle corn microwave popcorn.  I also have just popcorn, for S.H.T.F. times.

Starlady

Re: SHRINKFLATION
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 09:36:15 AM »
Almost everything has gone the same price, less product route.   One thing I've noticed over the past 12 years:   Splenda.   You used to be able to get a box of 2000 for $19-20, then it went down to 1800, then 1700 and last week, it's 1200.  Same price, tho.  Standard 18 oz cans of fruit or veggies went to 16 oz and now 12 oz.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 03:31:01 PM »
Almost everything has gone the same price, less product route.   One thing I've noticed over the past 12 years:   Splenda.   You used to be able to get a box of 2000 for $19-20, then it went down to 1800, then 1700 and last week, it's 1200.  Same price, tho.  Standard 18 oz cans of fruit or veggies went to 16 oz and now 12 oz.
The problem with that is the packaging becomes more costly than the contents!

Surveyor1

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 11:58:33 AM »
Not sure if this link will work for y’all since I subscribe?  If it works just click on the “no I already have” button when page loads.  Interesting read on food inflation and impacts on the different demographics.  Scary numbers and probably much more accurate than what the Obiden administration is parroting!

https://www.producebluebook.com/2022/06/10/numerator-grocery-inflation-reaches-record-high-in-may/?utm_source=Robly.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Produce+Reporter+06062022&utm_content=4cda945b66bfc75b9cf1456ec811c324#
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

tlwagg

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 06:14:56 PM »
 I bought a bag of Cheetos and it's less than half the size of the last one I bought a couple of years ago. I couldn't believe it and wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't a BOGO.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Surveyor1

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 03:01:17 PM »
Just got back from Walmart… prices are jumping folks!  Today they could not get the prices on the shelves changed quick enough so I got “yesterday’s” pricing.  7 of the 13 items I purchased were wrong on my receipt compared to price on the shelf.  When I got home I looked up online and the pricing online was what they charged in store, here’s a few examples of what shelf price said and what was charged:

Butterball Turkey sausage - $2.47 - $3.22
Bacon $4.32 - $4.48
Great Value Frozen Pizza - $2.80 - 3.98
Parkey Spray - $1.58 - $2.53
Progresso Soup - $1.58 - $2.18

I got it for the price listed on the shelves after taking pictures and going to customer service.  As you can see just on these few items the price increases are better than 30% on most!  Other retailers have had Progresso soup from $3.50 to $3.99 per can for the past 2 weeks! 

This is going to be really really bad people!  I’m talking food riots bad by the end of the years since most major price increases on food have not even hit yet!  The developing countries are going to riot first and the rest of the world will follow.  If you are not ready right now might I suggest that you either go buy now or buy some smaller clothes!  (Better be able to defend your preps)…
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 07:16:40 PM »
Broths have really gone up.  I used to can a lot of my own bone broth, when we harvested our own meat.  Now. the. price of fuel or electric is so high, I. can't cook the bones, broth, etc down for over 24 hours to get the quality I like to store.  I esp like chicken. bone broth, since it really is medicinal.  The good stuff is now over 5.00 a small box.  You can get store brand broth for .89 at Kroger right now, but it is just solo.  A can gives you 11/2 cups.  I tried to find some vegetable broth for Thor and got the last two cans.  With vegetables, I am going to try throwing what I grow in a pot with my herbs and letting it cook on the solar over all day.  Issue with this method is that you can't do a huge pot at one time, so it could take several days to get enough to warrant running your canner.  We have to think so differently about food preparation.  The big unknown is just around the corner.  Old habits are hard to break and may turn out to be costly.  We have no idea how big of bounce we will see by this Fall.  Better to have overdone it, as long as you can use it, then underestimate.  I hate it when that happens.  I know I talk about broth a lot and you may think it is all we eat.  With beans and rice being a Prepper staple, broth will be very important, along with spices.  With canned soup at 2.25 for standard Campbell's, having broth to use with dehydrated vegetables from your garden ( or fresh in season) will add more ways to prepare a cheap. meal.  You can also throw in some canned meat, or use it to cook up some less than tender , or dry meats.  Time to think about what is used in your kitchen.  Can you store it? Will it be available?  Will you be priced out of purchasing much of it?  Time will tell.

Fixit

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 06:17:32 PM »
Shrinkflation strikes again . I do shopping for an older guy (85) who hasn't left his place in 3 years . Today I picked up a pack of great value bath tissue 18 mega rolls  . When I got to his house and unloaded we put it with the other packages that are the same .
 Nope it was smaller . they have shrunk the 4" x4" sheets to 4" x 3.92"  a sheet . Does not sound like much but when you look at the square feet of paper it is almost 100 square feet ..

Abigayle

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 07:10:14 PM »
Seeing this in the number of seeds in a packet. I have seen at least .25% less. Yesterday, like you Fixit, I was noticing the "mega packs" just were not as big, I don't care what it says on the package, regarding "mega rolls".  Same thing goes for paper toweling.  It is also thinner,....cheaper.
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal