Author Topic: Death in the Family  (Read 641 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Death in the Family
« on: June 10, 2022, 06:19:59 AM »
I drove to town yesterday afternoon to visit the local hardware store.  I wanted to pick up some plumbing fittings for my BOL.  I found a parking spot right in front of the front door.  When I came out of the store and tried to put my fittings in the car, the back hatch would not open.  When I got in the drivers seat I realized the dash video screens were completely dead.  I had left my cell phone home (naturally).  I went to the store office and asked to use the phone.  I called the dealer Service Manager.  They did not have a wrecker.  They did not have a fully certified mechanic for my hybrid car.  He advised me to call someone else.  I called the wife and asked her to come pick me up.  The hardware store people said I could leave the car parked over night on the street in front of the store.  MY 2013 Chevrolet Volt was DEAD !
When I got home and while the wife was finishing up supper, I asked Google and he/she said the 12 volt battery in the trunk was dead and measuring voltage with a volt meter would yield a 4VDC reading.  I went to Youtube and watched a video, how to change a Volt 12 volt battery and also how to jump it off.
So we went back to town in the truck with tools and jumper cables.  I was able to jump it off and drive it home as the wife followed in the truck.  Last evening I took the battery out a 50AH  600CCA battery.  The problem now is to find a new battery.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 07:45:14 AM by RWS »

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Death in the Family
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 10:44:01 AM »
The local Auto Zone had 2 batteries in stock.  I traded in the old battery for a new one and it is now installed.  I am now able to get the traction battery charging back up.  And, yesterday I was thinking how great it was to be able to drive to town on battery and not have to buy gasoline.  That 12 volt battery was 8+ years old.  I will not neglect it again.  I guess the reason why it went so long is I thought it was a 24V Lithium battery.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 11:21:55 AM by RWS »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal