Author Topic: So You Think You Will Want To Barter...When S.H.T.F.  (Read 3879 times)

Abigayle

So You Think You Will Want To Barter...When S.H.T.F.
« on: June 25, 2022, 02:30:33 PM »
When things go south, I am guessing that at first it will feel like a game.  We might actually enjoy it in our smug somewhat isolated  world of readiness.  After all, we have been working our tails off, knowing there are more fun things out there on which we could be spending our money and certainly our time!
Then it gets real.  We get more information.  The grid may take months to fix (the government once again, not wanting to worry the lemmings).  They have no idea where to start or get the parts.  They can't even get garage doors, let alone transformers, etc. in mass.
So now we close the blinds and meet people at the door, not inviting them in; because, after all, we don't really know them that well.  These have become different times.
So you want to meet at the corner gas station.  It's the one where the old boys sat around talking about how bad things are... before things really got bad.  You have a few holes in your preps you now need, or really want to have. Do you take things to barter?  If you have little bags and rice and beans to hand out, for goodwill and to build trust, what does that say about you?  It is telling people that you have stuff.  Do they know where you live?  Will they follow you home?  What about neighbors?  Can they out gun you?  Out muscle you?  Out smart you?  I am thinking selfishness may mean survival....turning as gray as I can.  One last thought, if you are presented with a barter situation remember the item is worth exactly what you can get, no more, no less, no true monetary system exists
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 08:06:54 PM by Abigayle »
Ariel

Surveyor1

Re: So You Think You Will Want To Barter...When S.H.T.F.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 04:48:51 PM »
Thanks Abigayle for the words of wisdom!  I’ve thought about what you sad as well.  My thoughts on the subject is that a barter system will come in to play for those of us that are truly prepared.  But a barter system will not be a good think to pursue during the collapse but more during the recovery period or stabilization period after the herd is thinned.  Anyone outside of your “group” is a threat if they even “think” that you have stuff!  It kinda goes back to “Gray Man” theory! 
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 06:12:04 PM »
I agree with you guys.   My neighbors are old school country gardeners but I'm pretty sure they are not prepped, per se.   I will try with 1 family to barter some plain rice & beans with maybe some eggs for a few hours of weeding, or even guard duty.  I'm quite sure we'll be able to trade seeds, too.  I'm the only one around raising meat and they all know it - which is why all my coops and fences are padlocked at night.   It's gonna suck, er, stink.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 08:22:38 PM »
Most people in the country have bolt cutters.  Locks will not mean a lot to hungry people.  When we lived in the country of Panama, the police did not have money for gas half the time...Hey Deja a vous all over again.... We were on our own and most fire arms were those we "accidentally" brought into the country.  It took forever to get your permit.  As a gringo, any incident would more than likely be your fault. There, people planted thorny bougainvillea plants and broken glass were placed under every window and along property lines.  There are good videos on line giving examples of "items" to place  along and inside of your perimeter.  Different properties will benefit from different needs. The advantage of poultry is they make a lot of noise when someone grabs one in the night.  Carrots are quiet...
Star Lady, your "weeders" would be able to look around,  take mental notes.  Mulch is your friend.

Surveyor1

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 11:18:18 PM »
Hide your stuff, look destitute, lose weight, get dirty…. Act like a Southern Baptist having a drink, wait til after dark and close your blinds!  Your business is exactly that, your business…. If you must shoot an animal offer some to any neighbors that might hear the shot.  If your neighbors already know you have chickens, offer them a few eggs and you deliver and while there ask them for something that they might have available in exchange!  If you give without asking for anything  in return they will assume that you have plenty because you are willing to give and ask for nothing in return.  You have to assume that anyone that is on your property is casing the place so if possible don’t let them come around.  Sounds paranoid and quite possibly selfish but you prepared while they spent frivolously, not your problem unless you chose to invite it to your doorstep.  All of us need trigger pullers in a SHTF world, just make sure that you “confide” in the right people that will aim the right direction!  Truly a lot to contemplate…
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 11:08:20 AM »
Surveyer, I like your suggest of asking for something in return.  The next door neighbor works on cars, but I would want to take it to him.  He is a shooter, but not at all sure about the trust issue.  He would have to walk through a small woods or get out on the water, to see our place.  They don't have a boat right now, just a dock.  Other side, guy has guns, has shot a few times, but I don't see them as being prepared.  Maybe I am off base in thinking that prepared people would be trying to grow a little fresh food, even in pots....a tomato plant...something.  They are very nice but she does not baked, so maybe a loaf of bread to take over, as I explain that I hope I can get more flour and yeast soon...  Now tell me how to drop all that weight!:)
Back to serious here.  It would be very easy, out of fear, to allow the fox to guard the chicken coop.  These decisions need to be made well in advance of when it hits.  Tired, freaked out people make poor decisions. Make them while you still have a level head.

Surveyor1

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 12:20:45 PM »
Forming bonds, like Abigayle said, now with a level head is very important.  It’s very difficult to know who to “invite”  to your inner circle.  The closest neighbors are the logical choice but it is very hard to open that door but at some point you will need to!  I feel for you since you are new to that area and not knowing any history about your neighbors makes it doubly difficult!  That being said, there is no time like the present to start “vetting” your neighbors.  Find common ground to start a discussion and drop a few crumbs about your concerns for our country to gauge their response.  Bottom line is they are going to be either a friend or foe and the time to determine that is now.  It’s very easy for people to say they have faith in humanity but when people get really hungry their humanity will be lost at some point.  Like it or not the people that live in your direct vicinity will be the determining factor on your survival.  There will be no in between, they will either be an asset or an adversary…

Abigayle

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 01:51:23 PM »
Agree with most of what you said, but there is an in-between.  Those that have a little to offer, but not enough. No skills with keeping others at bay, no baking, sewing, canning, hunting, gardening.  Maybe just a few things put back, thinking this will last a few weeks. Gunsmiths are golden.  But only if they are well equipped.  Mechanics and nurses will be very valuable, but not if they can't feed themselves.  Think what it takes for the needs of your family.  If someone is starting now, it is double the expense and many items are not readily available.
The main issue, is if they didn't see it coming, they don't have the mindset to deal with whichever issue pops up first.. Inflation, which is crazy already and will continue, is just the first shoe to drop.  Will people think they better buy two instead of one at the store?  Will they put back or will it be business as usually, until they come to our doors.  This will all be done by the seat of our pants.  We can not organize it very well in advance. We think we know how things will go down, but do we?  can we? Imagine if we had not even given it much thought until it hits.  Wow...
Ariel

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 02:47:19 PM »
We have several neighbors who we barter with all ready, hay, eggs, meat and labor. The discussion has come up on security and have talked about avenues of approach in our area and watching each others backs, we also have some untrustworthy good balls in the area. I keep about 100 pounds of extra food for those who will need help. These will be be people iv know for years they will run out of grain fast but then again they have 80 head of cattle so it will be mutually beneficial. Those farms will get hit first 200 acres is an easier target then my fenced 5.

To those i don't know im just a dumb country boy. I dont have political stickers, nra, firearm stickers nothin. A nice woman down the road came and bought eggs, she was very concerned that we had enough food for our boys for what’s coming, shes been reading all about it. I simply nodded and listened. No reason to spill the beans, i find that harder then anything. To quietly listen to people advise you that just finally realized things aren't great in the world, to quell your pride and knowledge and as Abigayle said stay grey till a trust is built.   

This has been a very informative thread i like it! Maybe ill go ask all doofy neighbors for food first 😂
Psalms 127:3-5

Starlady

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 06:30:16 PM »
Their attitude is going to be a big factor.   I know some folks in the area (not close) who think it's the 'Christian' thing to do for those who Have to share with those who don't.   Others, like my closer neighbors, will deal with reality and being proud wouldn't ask without offering something in exchange.   That much I can tell from our previous trades and interactions.

As to my 'weeders' and 'day guards' , the garden and poultry can partially be seen from the front driveway - there was no way around it except for letting the weeds and privet grow up some.  As of now, I'm pretty sure most won't shoot a looter, partially because it might be a distant relative.   But they can make noise to wake me up and I have no trouble doing that.   It will take awhile for some to understand that just scaring bad people away will only let them come back another with a bigger group.  Then again, when we 1st met the Dad said he'd just drop a tree across the bridge over the creek on his property.    But we have the same problem most of the folks here have - we're just old!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 07:48:33 PM »
In our last neighborhood, all five or more acre lots, we had agreed on dropping trees over the road when things got bad.  We even had the trees picked out and the guys that would bring them down.  You out there that have these relationships in place are lucky.  We have one neighbor that we are counting on and they are counting on us.  We have one we are concerned about, as he has made some noise about taking what he needs.  He may be all mouth.  Time to start sorting out some  "maybes", one way or the other.
If you start with handouts, it will look like Trick or Treat Night, every night...
The "weeders will come to the door with questions".  Everything must be put away from doors and windows.  Word travels fast and so do hungry feet.

Surveyor1

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 11:44:57 PM »
BOOM Halt who goes there?  (Just thought I would clarify proper procedures and the sequence of events…)

coastiemike

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 06:30:58 AM »
Knock knock…..   

Yes sir, how can I help you?  You’re out looking for food?  Yeah, my family and I have been as well.  I’m currently tied up trying to fix something right now but the next time you go out, let me know and I will come with you.

We will stay grey.  We will be blending with the other unprepared looking hungry and tired and make sure we eat just enough to keep us healthy and alive during the fall until the initial wave is over.

We are lucky in that our son is a former Marine.  We already have agreements and plans in place which former and current Marines he was stationed with and close friends with are invited to join us with their families.  We have been prepping for us as well as several other families.

From above, if the guy gets pushy, then it goes from, invite me next time to, sir, you see that red dot on your chest?  You need to step back off the property and proceed to look elsewhere. We are looking also.  Have a good day.   Anytime we have to go out to barter, we will have two reconnaissance positions in place ahead of time in case the barter goes bad.  Hopefully we never, ever get to that point.  If we do, then we handle the situation as it adjusts.

Surveyor1

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2022, 09:17:42 AM »
Sorry to correct you Coastiemike…. I learned from my best friend (RIP), I called him a “former marine” once and after I was slapped in the back of the head I was informed “Once a marine always a marine” and I never made that mistake again😎😳😎!  Lol just don’t want you to to offend your son or his friends on day one of the apocalypse 🤦‍♂️🤔😳…. Other than that, your thoughts on the subject seem solid!  One word of caution though.  I’m always concerned when someone says “I’m prepping for others”.  IMHO everyone in a group needs to have prepared some, even if it’s just some basics.  You can definitely supplement your preps to ensure the safety of your MAG but everyone really needs some “skin in the game”.  If you have a lot and they have nothing they do have something that could be useful to themselves, the skill and ability to take what is yours…. A friend of my son was in the Army and said some of his green beret friends laugh at preppers and said “why should I prep when I can just go and take their stuff?” 

Abigayle

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2022, 10:23:02 AM »

Two days ago, I took some hot muffins over to our closest neighbor.  No one answered, but both cars were there.  I kept smiling and saying "hello", as I walked around the house.  I saw no sign of anyone prepping.  They have good sun for a garden and they are home all day.  Maybe they are trying very hard to appeal gray, but here is the rub.  I get a phone call thanking me for the muffins and asking me if those were our automatic weapons he heard firing the other day.  I told him "no".  He decided on another house, and I know he was right.  I have met this guy once.  He just lives in the house, girlfriend owns it.  So Thor and I listen on speaker phone while this stranger tells us, and I quote "If things go bad, I know where to go for weapons".  This guy also claims to be a weapons expert".  If so, he should be armed to the teeth himself.  My friend just smiled and said "good luck with that".  I know his history and he is good to go.  Many of us will find ourselves in a mixed bag scenario.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  Agree with Surveyor.  Everyone must have skin it the game.  It would be ideal if they could store things at your place, marked with their names and boxed.  This makes travel easier, but it also instills trust.  If they don't trust you enough to do this, can you trust them to be in your home and have your back?  They can also store things they want to eat. Look up on the L.D.S. website, at what needs to be stored for one person for a year.  You may want to rethink having provisions for everyone who gathers.  Great that you are thinking it through, Coastie Mike, and are formulating a plan.  Rethink, revise, repeat. Then do it again, while you have time.
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal