Author Topic: Helpful Hits For Raising Chickens...  (Read 891 times)

Abigayle

Helpful Hits For Raising Chickens...
« on: June 29, 2022, 03:08:12 PM »
I have been raising chickens for around 45 years now.  I learn something new everyday.  This week, I tried something that I have heard about for awhile now.  It is adding a cup of food to two cups water, shake and let sit.  In a few days, it will start to perk and break down.  At this point, it can be fed to your chickens.  Why do this?  Check out U-tube, but the general idea is that it will dissolve.
the kernel allowing the chicken to digest more of the feed.  Those doing it claim they are feeding less now and their birds look great.
So I have tried it for the first time.  For me, the major benefit, is using layer pellets.  I have never had a chicken that preferred pellets over crumbles.  Recently, I could not get crumbles at two local feed stores, including Tractor supply.  So, I used the pellets to experiment.  They broke down beautifully.  I put out regular grower crumbles, with about 10% pellet in the turn out area.  Then, I put the "slop" in a feed bowl.  The rooster never left the bowl and the ladies joined him.  They are for a longer period of time.  Down side, rinsing out the bowl.  I have started two more jars, to make sure it was not a lark.
Many of you have raised chickens a long time.  I am sure you have some helpful hints to those just starting.  From what I hear, there are a lot of those out there.  After reading some of the stupid advice on places like Pinterest.  I think people could use some help from those who have actually done it more than six months.  Also if you are new, and have questions.  I am sure someone here would be very willing to help you, so ask away.  I will add some new sub topics to this site, if there appears to be interest.
Ariel

HogJowlHomestead

Re: Helpful Hits For Raising Chickens...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 05:34:49 PM »
We have done this for chickens and are currently doing it for the pigs, it basically causes a fermentation and is good for the gut flora. It also helps hydrate them and is easier for digestion allowing more nutrients to be absorbed. This is more recognizable in pigs as pigs fed strait corn poop out speckled yellow poo. With fermentation there is no trace in there poop. We notice a size able gain in weight and look healthy, no scurvy or blotched skin.

Thats why we do it, right, wrong or indifferent. The down side of course is your feed is heavy, we carry a 5 gallon bucket to the woods every morning. Its on a time window- we notice after three days its no longer a pleasant smell and after a week its like strait booze. And as you said a pain to keep the bucket clean, that mash set up on the bottom. i find adding water and swooshing it gets good results. 

Here a pic of some chicks (2 weeks) on mash and day old chicks just hatching
Psalms 127:3-5

YellowRose

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 06:37:13 PM »
I am interested to know if soaking the grains really does reduce feed costs.  I have heard of doing this, but have never tried it.

Fixit

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 07:44:03 PM »
When raising ducks I used a 6 way whole grain scratch . soak overnight then drain and rinse next two days . it made nice long sprouts and cut feed bill in half.
 On what was being done by abigayle if you have whey to add they will love it even more.

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 09:53:11 PM »
Fix it, Spouts are great, a living food for them.  What is a good source for the whey?  I have not fed it, but would like to give it a try.  Feed bills right now as well as health and a food sources are all important. I feed some hulloes oats, that I sprinkle on seed trays with a little soil.  I give them the whole tray.  Of course they only last a day with 8 large birds.
Ariel

Fixit

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 10:40:24 PM »
Whey is a byproduct of making cheese or butter.

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 10:31:36 AM »
Fixit, I am guessing then you have a cow.  I knew what it was, I used to milk but never used it mixed with grain, or knew it would aid in sprouting, thanks.  I may have to ask around where I see dairy cows.  I thought maybe you had a source that shipped.  That would get expensive!
Received a call from my granddaughter yesterday, who has a friend that just got started raising chickens.  Somewhat convinced her that she needed a rooster and a "special blend food", in order to get eggs.  I let her know that a rooster is not needed, then explained pros and cons of having one and not to have more then one for the flock she was planning on getting.  I also suggested a different source for her purchase other then someone who is either shifty or stupid.
Ariel

Fixit

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 02:11:47 PM »
Well I thought you knew but just had to go there. No I didn't milk at the time but yes had a special source for " waste/ surplus " dairy.

Abigayle

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 11:08:07 AM »
Roosters, Pros and Cons
A good rooster will lay down his life for his hens, in time of trouble.  He will have the instinct to face off many threats, especially if he has been raised with the hens.  You can add a rooster later.  He may be one that was playing second fiddle in another flock  and more than grateful for the opportunity to be "De Man". A good rooster will put the hens in at dusk and double check to make sure they are all accounted for.  A good rooster will watch you work with his girls and allow you to pick them up, examine and treat them.  He will puff up, his face will flush, he would rather you put her down....
A bad rooster will try to take you any time, any place for any reason.  You can try holding his head to the ground for a minute, throwing a bucket at him, cuddling him in your lap....or all of the above.  It won't work.  I had one that was so bad, that he started growling when I came out the door in the morning.  He was tasty..
99.7% percent of roosters will crow at sunrise.  Some start a little sooner.  Rooster collars will work, if applied right, and should be tightened gradually.  They will not stop him from crowing, but will take it down a notch.  A rooster is a dead give-a-way that you have a food source.  Even if you order all pullets, you will likely get a rooster.  That is how I ended up with Sterling, my Lavender Orphington.  He was one of 8 chicks.  If you hatch out your own, plan on sending half your birds to freezer camp, unless you find yourself to be very lucky.
If you decide that you want a rooster, pick one with all the qualities you want to pass down to the next generation.  Do you like white meat?  legs?  I have heard that temperament is passed down.  Mr. Nasty A$$ came from a neighbors egg.  Of course, a rooster allows you to produce your own food supply in grid down situations, if you have a broody hen.  Remember, this is for beginners...just trying to help.

Abigayle

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 01:35:26 PM »
Yellow Rose, I was just readying through these posts quickly and realized I did not answer your question.  The answer is yes.  For a quick trial, put about 3/4 cup of your feed, layer or finisher, in a quart jar.  Fill in to about two inches from the top with water.  Shake well and remove the top.  Just let it sit until you see it building toward the top of the jar.  Feed it to you chickens and see how they go after it. 
There are more than a few U-tube in the exact measurements and container sizes.  This is only a way for you to see if you want to bother with the mess and if your chickens like it.
It draws flies. It is messy, but if you feed outside and it rains a little, since it has sat awhile, the birds will still eat it.  I don't do it all the time, esp. now that I am down to six birds. 
Ariel

Abigayle

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 01:41:21 PM »
Hens getting broody?  Don't want them to sit?  Snatch them off the nest and stick their butts in cold water.  Of of you are too smart to do this in cold weather so I won't talk about that!
Almost all of the time, they will not return to the next your hen will start laying sooner and she will have a cleaner butt. Super broody hens will try to set during breaks in hot weather, which is coming our way.  She may turn up her beak at you for awhile, but she will start talking to you again, when you bring her a treat.  Mine love grapes.
Ariel

Abigayle

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2023, 10:33:59 AM »
I just received my Speckled Sussex pullets from a hatchery I have not used in the past.  Mt. Healthy Hatchery, in Mt. Healthy, Oh. (yes, there is such a place).
They were due May 10th., but I asked to be notified if they had an earlier date.  I got an email last week, and hit the "move date request", to April 30th. 
On that day, I got a message they had hatched and were on the way.  Today, I got a call from the town next to where I requested they be delivered, that they had them.  Instead of taking a few more hours for them to travel ten miles, when picked up again, I went to that post office early this morning, before they opened.
I ordered seven.  They sent eight.  I have a feeling that they threw in a rooster, due to size and head shape.  That's o.k.  When I ordered seven, I knew I had a chance of getting a rooster.  I dipped their beaks and put them in they temporary, pre-warmed home. They ate within an hour.  It will take a year before I will really know if I am totally satisfied with them.  I found the name of the hatchery, in an article, where a woman had done some research and posted, what she felt, were the top twelve in the country, in no special order.  I crossed my fingers, and ordered.  Since this breed is new to me, I can not compare to other day old chicks, but they look good so far.

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2023, 03:59:58 PM »
I have spoiled my chickens so dreadfully that I couldn’t get them to eat corn! I was sick and tired of the waste of scratch ignored by them. I have started cooking the scratch in a crockpot till everything is tender and then mixing it with their dry pellets and enough water to make the pellets soft. I hardly have any waste now in their food.
They are eating everything and no wasted grain laying in the run to attract pests.
It definitely is more work and mess cleaning the bowls, but I keep a five gallon bucket by the water source and drop the bowl in water and soak it for several hours and then it’s easy to clean.
Still not expecting my chicks till mid July. Hope I haven’t forgotten how to be a chick mother. 🙂
Ravenwood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal