Author Topic: Waterglassing eggs  (Read 865 times)

coastiemike

Waterglassing eggs
« on: February 12, 2023, 10:50:11 AM »
We are making our first attempt to waterglass some eggs.  A quick question for those with experience.  We have the pickling lime added to the distilled water.  We are ready to put the eggs in but the pickling lime didn’t dissolve completely.  Is that ok?  If once we set the eggs in, pickling lime sits on top of the eggs, is that ok?  Or should we make sure no pickling lime is on top of the eggs?

John Galt 1

Re: Waterglassing eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 04:25:32 PM »
It is normal for the pickling lime to not dissolve completely.      Also if you don't disturb the mixture for a few weeks after putting the eggs in a thun film may form on top of the water.

We use a 2 gallon plastic painters bucket from Home Depot and keep in in the pantry.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

coastiemike

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 07:28:04 PM »
It is normal for the pickling lime to not dissolve completely.      Also if you don't disturb the mixture for a few weeks after putting the eggs in a thun film may form on top of the water.

We use a 2 gallon plastic painters bucket from Home Depot and keep in in the pantry.

Thank you

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 09:52:33 AM »
John, How long have you kept yours before using them?  I must confess, I did some, kept them for six months, got worried and discarded them.  I had eggs coming out of my ears at the time.  You never know when something can happen to your flock.
One prepper told a story of a skunk getting inside a small hole in a fence and killing his whole flock in one night.
By the way, if you shoot a skunk and kill it right out, it will not smell for awhile.  Bury it right away.  I shot one in my chicken yard forty years ago, and was so surprised by the lack of oder.
I just corrected this post.  My writing is really going downhill.  I have to proof read, but I sit for a minute, write fast, and get back to whatever I am supposed to be doing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 03:21:26 PM by Abigayle »
Ariel

Starlady

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 08:08:18 PM »
I can't recall which blogger I read last month that did a bunch and has been testing them every 6 months.   She just hit 18 months and reports that while the whites are pretty runny they are still good, no smell.   She made a cake and scambled some to eat, no difference reported.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 08:51:53 PM »
Star Lady, Good to know, thanks!   Did she say which method she used? Take good care...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 03:22:53 PM by Abigayle »
Ariel

YellowRose

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 09:51:34 AM »
I am currently eating six month old water glassed eggs.  The shells are a big thicker and harder to crack, but the contents  are fine.  I know some people use 5 gallon buckets.  I keep them in small plastic containers that hold about 20 eggs, since one tiny crack can ruin the whole lot, so I keep them separated to reduce loss in the case of a crack.  It also makes them easier to rotate.

Abigayle

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2023, 08:05:32 PM »
Good idea, Less likely to break one and you don't have to worry about rotating them.  My last batch was a quart container that looked like a thermos, with a wide mouth.  I need to start up again in case something were to happen to the girls.  They are in two separate coops.
Ariel

John Galt 1

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 07:56:45 AM »
Abigayle,
If kept in the pantry eggs stored in a pickling lime (hydrated lime) bath the eggs are good as new for 5-8 months.      After about 6 months the yolk starts to get a bit softer, after ab0out 8 months the whites start to get a bit watery but everything if food safe for at least a year.       While I've never done it I've heard of eggs still being food safe 18-24 months later.

There is a chemical called waterglass ( https://www.britannica.com/science/water-glass ) which people used 100 years ago to preserve eggs.        It lasts longer than the pickling lime bath but I've never used it.

I used to use 5 gallon buckets to store the eggs in but now days we use 2 gallon plastic painters buckets from Home Depot.

Abigayle

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 09:20:42 AM »
I used a half cup of pickling salt in a quart of water.  Each place I read gave the amounts needed in measures using a scale.  Since each measurement on a scale would have to involve a container (glass, plastic), how can you be accurate?  Anyone have the measurements they used in cups?
The big brown eggs are pretty in the jar.  I am only doing this in the event of something happening to my layers, but they would be a good barter item as well.
Ariel

Starlady

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 12:29:22 PM »
Pickling salt and pickling lime are not the same thing.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 01:31:33 PM »
Meant to say pickling lime, sorry.
Ariel

John Galt 1

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 06:13:18 PM »
I read 4 ozs of pickling lime (hydraulic lime) per gallon of water years ago.      Since I reload I have a precise scale and that is what I used to use.    Now days I simply put 7 heaping tablespoons of pickling lime in one gallon of hot water in a 2 gallon bucket.     Stir well and let cool.        That's more than enough lime water to deeply cover eggs in a 2 gallon bucket.       I've already posted my longetivaly results using this method.       The biggest thing is to place the eggs gently on the bottom of the bucket to avoid cracked shells.

On a side note
I've found that having a $25 spring scale that can weigh up to 10 lbs to be super useful for cooking and with preps.       Having a small  digital "powder scale" reloaders use is occasionally useful.

Final thought,,,,    Take an egg,,, any egg,,, and place it in a bowl of water.       
If the egg lays on its side in the water it is food safe.
If the egg rocks up on one end it is getting close to going bad but still edible.
If the egg floats ...RUN Away!           The egg has spoiled.

Abigayle

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 06:43:58 PM »
Great information John!  I have a spring scale for canning, esp helpful for tomatoes.  I worried about the measuring cup weighing more than the LIME, not salt, dah.
We will have extra eggs.  The chicks I hatched out exactly five months ago, layer for the first time today.
Also, my first cousin emailed me with a bunch of family history.  I am related to one of the original Minutemen, who fought at Lexington.  This means I am good to go.  It is in my blood.  He was in the original one fourth that fought and encouraged the government to lend support to other troops.  Makes a woman proud,,,

ProGeek

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2023, 04:57:13 PM »
If the egg floats ...RUN Away!           The egg has spoiled.

That's not exactly true. If the egg floats to means the there is a large air bubble from evaporation. The egg may still be edible. Anther test is to look at the egg with a strong light or flashlight. If you can't see light through it, then it' could be rotten. I've had eggs with shells so think you couldn't see through and others so thin my thumb went through it when I picked it up. I've had eggs that were rotten, sink. So it's not an exact science. The 100% test is if you crack it open and it's all green/gray and smelly!
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal