Author Topic: Grocery Store Storage Foods  (Read 793 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Grocery Store Storage Foods
« on: February 21, 2023, 01:15:08 PM »
This is a good video on what to stock up on from the grocery store.

Now might be a good time !

Abigayle

Re: Grocery Store Storage Foods
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 02:17:10 PM »
Thanks R.W., this will be helpful to new peppers!
I added to my powdered milk this month.  I am not buying any store brought baked goods (bread, bums, deserts....nada.) in over six months.  The Italian bread I made uses a small amount of powdered milk, but it adds up under the above circumstances.  I always liked Peak Brand, until now.  They have reduced the size of the can, but kept the same exact label.  Also, they ship them unwrapped and will not replace them when they come bashed in.  This is one item Amazon will not help with...so buyer beware.
Also, if people can do it, canning some of those beans is a really good idea.  Use the energy now, while you have it and the time.  It takes between 3/4 and a cup of dry beans per quart.  You need to pressure can them.  If you are canning and have a spot left in the canner, add beans.
Avacado oil last much longer, then the use by date.  Canned chicken lasts years longer than the Best Buy date.  DISCLAIMER:  Not suggesting anyone do this, but I check the can, smell, taste the liquid that is in the product and proceed from there.  Thor and I just had a chicken sandwich using  an overlooked can from 2020. The date was smudged and it was out of place in the roller.  It's been hours now and we are still here. For short term storage, I also like some stir-fry sauces to mix with rice, etc.
Along with oatmeal, if you like dates, raisins, dehydrated fruits, cranberries, anything like that, along with brown sugar, they all have a long shelf life.  You can make oatmeal in a thermo pot using very little energy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 08:49:14 PM by Abigayle »
Ariel

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 06:40:12 PM »
Very surprised not to see a couple of huge containers of peanut butter!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 06:44:44 PM »
Very surprised not to see a couple of huge containers of peanut butter!
Quite honestly, peanut butter has a rather short shelf life.  It will go rancid in the South Georgia heat in a heart beat.

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 08:52:51 PM »
II had five large jars of it when they had the recall.  Can't remember, Jeff, Skippy?  Well whichever, they never answered the phone.  Kroger would not deal with it, said call the company.  We finally got tired of looking at it and threw it out.  Never had any go bad and kept it on the shelf after it was opened.
Has anyone on here ever planted and dug their own peanuts? I would like to try making my own peanut butter.  I have peanuts I could plant that are a few years old.  They are in the fridge.
Finally got some good horse radish root, now, where to put it.  Nasty job, processing it.
Ariel

BennyMG1

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 04:40:20 AM »
When the Jif recall happened, I checked my stock and had four large jars affected. I went to the website and followed the directions entering lot numbers and dates of the jars I had. It took a minute, but I eventually received 12 coupons for up to $7 off their products each. Lost four, gained 12. We rotate our peanut butter since we eat it fairly often. The current jar is six months past best by, and it’s fine. However, RWS is correct, it is NOT a long term storage food item. Rancid peanut butter is nasty (don’t ask how I know).
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 08:27:23 AM »
Benny, you young whipper-snappers are so smart! ;)

Starlady

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 09:33:26 PM »
I had 6 jars of peanut butter stored in an unheated, uncooled room for several years.   in 2018 I finished the jar that 'expired' in 2013 and was opened in 2014.   I've never had a problem with it.  I opened the 2017 jar mid 2022.   The house is kept at 76 in the summer (the opened jar) but it gets to 88 in the storage room (for the unopened jars).   Maybe farther north we're not as hot as long as y'all down south.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal