Author Topic: Cleaning IBC totes for rainwater collection  (Read 392 times)

coastiemike

Cleaning IBC totes for rainwater collection
« on: March 08, 2023, 10:05:42 AM »
Morning all.  I have the opportunity to acquire up to 10 IBC totes that housed Stephenson Shampoo Base, Stephenson Organic Lotion Base, and Stephenson Organic Liquid Castile Soap.  These are free.  I’ve always wanted to be able to set up a rainwater collection system.  But I don’t know the proper way to clean them for garden water and possibly potable water.

Any suggestions and tips are appreciated.

Abigayle

Re: Cleaning IBC totes for rainwater collection
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 11:08:20 AM »
Coastie Mike, I would just rinse them and not worry about it.  A little organic sea[ should be good for your garden, if you use it before it gets really hot outside.  You can also set up a tarp to collect water, by forming a slide with sides, into the tote.  one tenth of an Inch of water can supple a full tote.  Think bungie cords to hold them in as clean a spot as you can find.  You can use skinny trees, away from larger trees full of leaves.  If you can't do that, skim with a fishing net.
I use rain barrells coming off the roof.  Today, I will cover the downspouts, until the pollen is washed off the roof.  For drinking, I would use cheese cloth and put it through my Berkey water filter.  Let us know how it goes.
Ariel

nj_m715

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 12:24:43 PM »
I pressure wash the parts I can reach then spray the rest with a garden hose
keep spraying until it stops foaming and looks/smells clean
hot water helps

once you set up rain collection, you can fill and drain them a few times for free with rain

I have 2 local places selling totes, both are charging 75$
so snatch those all up as fast as you can

they make good self wicking raised beds, cut one in half and make 2 beds
also make a dog house, chicken house or broader

I've been buying them to hold firewood

Fixit

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 08:28:22 PM »
Normally with something like that I rinse a few times . then if oil based wash it with dawn dish detergent . if an acid use baking soda to neutralize . on something that size I might use washing soda as it has a higher PH and I could use less

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal