Author Topic: I Saw This Coming A Year Ago  (Read 406 times)

Surveyor1

I Saw This Coming A Year Ago
« on: March 11, 2023, 09:15:09 AM »
Thank goodness for vacuum sealer.  Kroger has 80/20 on sale for $3.77/lb.  The smallest our cattle herd has been since 1962, btw the population then was 192 million…. Like I’ve been saying, “it’s gonna get worse before it gets much worse!”

https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/us-cattle-prices-hit-nine-year-high-national-herd-drops-half-century-low
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

Re: I Saw This Coming A Year Ago
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 09:41:37 AM »
For those with full freezers, think canning and meals in a jar.  There are lots of these that you can find in good canning recipe books.  While I have done a lot of these, In view of what is coming down, I am going to do more.  Yes, we knew it was coming.  I don't know if that makes us lucky, or unlucky. Black swan events sometimes actually swim in with very little wake.

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 08:23:40 AM »
Meat prices are very low at my local Food Depot and the quality is very good.
Ravenwood

Surveyor1

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 10:42:33 AM »
Meat prices are very low at my local Food Depot and the quality is very good.
Ravenwood

Yes many places still have fairly low beef prices.  Food Depot uses Select grade beef and not choice.  When they cull the herds many are not ready for market so they have not had the proper time to fatten up, thus the large supply of select vs choice grade.  My local Piggly Wiggly offers select and choice on their steaks and there is a $4.00 spread. At some point all of the select grade meat in the chain will be basically used up and then the prices will advance quickly. 

I will not be surprised to see $10.00/lb hamburger and $20.00/lb sirloin in 2-3 months time, I hope I’m wrong!  Something has got to give when our herd is now the size it was in 1962 when our population was around 190 million vs the 330+ million today!  I agree with Abigayle, if out of freezer space can it, you’ll be glad you did!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 12:16:12 PM »
Woke up this morning and my beef multiplied 😁. We have canned several full meals some were amazing like chicken curry and some horrible like thanksgiving in a can (the Brussels sprout get soggy and when you reheat it smells like someone broke wind).

Today i have eyes on the SVB debacle.
Psalms 127:3-5

Surveyor1

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 12:47:24 PM »
Congrats HJH!  Raising cattle is not an easy job unless knowledgeable such as yourself.  We’ve canned quite a bit of just meat such as ground, round steak, chicken breast and pork loin.  We keep the freezer full and have plenty of jars in case we are forced to can from our freezer.  We’ll be fine with meat for awhile but I get concerned about too many people in the woods depleting our rather large deer population once the ballon goes up. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal