Author Topic: Goji Berries -Red Wolf Berries -Black  (Read 525 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Goji Berries -Red Wolf Berries -Black
« on: March 20, 2023, 07:41:02 AM »
Earlier this year I decided to plant some Goji berry seeds.  When ordering I found out there is also a black Goji berry called the Wolf berry.  I found out the Wolf berry made a very nice tasting Medicinal tea.  We have started drinking some hot tea this year.  We even bought some of those tea infuser balls to make tea one cup at a time.  You can also make jelly from the fully ripe red berries.  So stock more sugar.....
I planted both the Red and Black Goji seed.  The red ones came up really well and I now have excess plants to the point I need to get rid of some.  Some of the Black ones came up but just a few.  I plan to plant both at my Region 2 BOL when they get big enough.  I have 50 one gallon plastic pots to use to pot them up.  As soon as it warms up some I will get started on that project.  Then I need to put them out under some trees to provide a little shade and pipe up an automatic watering system so I will be able to get away a few days at a time without killing the plants for lack of water.

Abigayle

Re: Goji Berries -Red Wolf Berries -Black
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 11:27:18 AM »
R.W.S. Did you have any issues with the birds beating you to the berries?  We planted them at the last farm.  They were away from the house, near the big garden.  While we got some, the birds were watching them and the first year they produced a nice size berry (second year), the birds got them.  If we had not moved, I would have used some netting in the future.  They are very healthy, before all the sugar!
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 01:00:15 PM »
I guess it will be like my blueberries.  I planted enough for the both of us.  If I only had one or two bushes, then I would have to invest in a net of some kind.

YellowRose

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 07:33:05 AM »
Have you had them through the winter yet?  I planted Goji berries a few years ago.  They did great the first year but died over winter, even though they were well within the proper growing zone.  I'm not sure why they didn't survive.

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 01:16:21 PM »
Yellow Rose, we had ours for two years before moving.  Actually we moved their third spring.  The grew well and were not protected in any way.
Our new blueberries are not looking that great.  This is their second year.  One bush is excellent, all in the same general area.  One one doing the best ever has a few hours of shade during the day.  Our last bluebberry patch was in full sun, no problems.
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 05:05:18 PM »
YellowRose,  The plants are new and have not wintered over yet.  I was relying on the growing zone that said they were good for zone 5 thru 9.  I am in 8 and my BOL is zone 6 so I figured I was good.  I am pretty sure the roots have to be in the ground and not in a pot to protect them from freezing.  I guess we will find out next Winter how hardy they are.  I was hoping to dry a few berries and see if the TEA is as good as advertised.

PS:  I have lots of little ones and will try to bring some to Spring Campout...

https://www.gurneys.com/product/goji-berry-

Used in traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years, Goji berries are extremely nutritionally dense and high in antioxidants. Claimed to enhance the immune system, improve eyesight and circulation, and protect the liver, Goji berries are truly a superfood.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:33:22 PM by RWS »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal