Author Topic: CB Radio?  (Read 895 times)

Blade

CB Radio?
« on: April 16, 2023, 10:53:47 AM »
Anyone still do CB radio in north Georgia?
Would like to find a shop to tune up an old unit to set up as a home base station.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: CB Radio?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 11:22:22 AM »
Sorry.  I am setting up 2 meters for local comms.

bountyhunter

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 11:48:47 AM »
Find a reputable CB shop at a good truck stop and thats where you can get a radio tuned up.....
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 12:54:14 PM »
Bounty Hunter, do they also sell used units??? Or is that strictly pawn shop....Thanks, You give useful advice, when asked.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 02:45:01 PM by Abigayle »
Ariel

bountyhunter

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 01:29:55 PM »
Yes they do if they have them in the house.
I have 2m as well and 70cm along with 6m and 10m, but that doesnt mean one cant offer advise.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)

John Galt 1

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 06:51:56 PM »
Find a reputable CB shop at a good truck stop and thats where you can get a radio tuned up.....

As someone who spent a lot of time on CBs back in the day and used to know where some of the best tuning shops across the US were located I've found that there are very few shops that work on radios anymore here in N. GA.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

bountyhunter

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 07:39:51 PM »
@JG1.....I do have one thats been peaked and tuned. A COBRA unit. Hasnt been in my truck for years. I run a YAESU FT2900 75w mono-band radio now. But I will be transitioning back to CB soon. Your truck drivers has more info as to whats going on than intel agencies......
Are you anywhere near any truck stops like a Flying J or maybe a Loves?
I am looking at one now with SSB its a BEARCAT 980 40 channel with SSB its on Amazon for $159.89

just a thought bro!
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)

nj_m715

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 08:10:44 PM »
I'm not really a radio guy but I have one of these and love the features
it's a 10 meter ham radio that can be unlocked to run on cb channels
I picked this one because it can go as high as 33mhz thats enough to reach the bottom end of the old military prc-77 radios
so I could talk to my unit from my pov on drill weekends

my truck can reach my base station from 50 miles depending on terrain
I always reach florida, main and texas when skip is good
I get brazil from time to time and OZ once or twice

it does all the normal cb stuff but lets you talk in between channels and ch 42 etc
there are models without amps and models that can put out 100 or 200 watts

bountyhunter

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 08:16:32 PM »
i have one of those myself  never used it. bought it and had it checked and put it up..I already had a 2m YAESU in my truck
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)

John Galt 1

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 09:37:26 PM »
NJ,     I believe it was that model of Ranger radio I ran 25 years ago.      The radio had been expanded to allow 11 meter channels for normal CB use.      The Ranger had so many buttons and knobs it was difficult to operate while driving so after a year or so I let it go.      But that Ranger radio did catch the skip better than the President Lincoln I had used previously.

When you are trying to catch the skip from a stationary location what angle and how long of an antenna do you use?

John Galt 1

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 10:02:54 PM »
Bountyhunter.     Now days I rarely use a CB.      Truckers just don't talk on them much anymore except for dump truck drivers.     Lots of trash talk on channel 6.     Still I keep one in the pickup.       It's handy if there is a traffic problem and the truckers then turn their radios on.
I run a Stryker 447=HP opened up to be able to talk on CB channels and play with 10 meter.

I also use a YAESU FT-2900R as a base station with a roof mounted J-pole as a base station but I only power it up a few times a year to fart around with it.      It seems to be a good radio but the mic wire plug is fragile.       For use as a SHTF radio it may be worth getting a spare mike.
In my uneducated opinion (I really don't know much about radios) the best thing about a 2 meter base station is it's ability to communicate with handheld 2 meter radios 7+ miles away.

In my limited experience most people on 2 meter base stations jabber about the weather or personal topics I have little interest in.        But if phones and internet were out having a 2 meter base station and a few handhelds would be very useful.

Lilburnner knows a lot more about radios than I do if he chimes in on this thread.

nj_m715

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2023, 11:01:37 PM »
its a vertical dipole made from stripping coax cable and run up a tree

tlwagg

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 09:16:21 AM »
If your still looking for a shop Clairmont Skyland Radio in Gainesville 404-636-5909. They fix all kinds of radios.

I just got a GMRS license to add another means of communication and I'm considering adding CB.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

bountyhunter

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2023, 01:39:06 PM »
I have a GMRS license as well.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)

bountyhunter

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2023, 05:57:23 PM »
tlwagg....I have completely forgot about them. They have fixed a few radios for me and a friend of mine...Good folks.
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal