Author Topic: 33$ Chinesium Starlight Scope  (Read 944 times)

nj_m715

33$ Chinesium Starlight Scope
« on: May 13, 2023, 10:15:08 PM »
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3256804512259029.html
I can't vouch for it, I don't have one.... yet

Abigayle

Re: 33$ Chinesium Starlight Scope
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 01:47:41 PM »
N.J., like you, I was excited by the video. We know how expensive night vision is and some of it is not that great.  My worry here, is buying something direct.  If we are worried about any internet connection involving China, maybe a direct purchase would be asking for trouble.  Soooo, if it works for you get back to us.  If, in a few months, your credit card is breached....get back to us.  I would love to have one, but hate to invite trouble.  Tic-to-tic-toc.  Any worries on your part?  It sure is tempting.
Ariel

nj_m715

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 02:38:41 PM »
I've made a few purchases from alibaba

its really no different than ebay, etsy or even amazon
you have the same buyer protection, plus I used paypal with my visa

if the seller screws me I have 3 layers of protection
the website, then paypal and finally I can dispute with visa

I'll get the item or I'll get my money back
so no worries

the seller doesn't get my CC info, they only get a payment pushed from paypal
they can't request or process extra payments

hell, I had to replace my card 2 or 3 times in the last few years from making local purchases

other than updating recurring payments like my phone bill, its no big deal

BennyMG1

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 09:25:38 AM »
I ordered one. Thanks nj
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

nj_m715

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 10:31:29 AM »
john wick posted more info

John Galt 1

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 10:55:40 PM »
OU812
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 06:15:49 AM by John Galt 1 »
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

BennyMG1

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 05:16:20 AM »
I got mine and I’d say it’s worth the $34 I paid for it (that includes shipping).

1. Does it feel cheaply made?  YES
2. Does it work?  ABSOLUTELY
3. Am I satisfied with the purchase? YES

It definitely works and the picture quality is good. Good for fun. Not sure about any tactical applications except maybe specific observation settings.

My only problems with it are:
            * Screen is SMALL. It’s like 1”x1”.
            * lightweight plastic. I don’t see it surviving a drop on a hard surface
            * Instructions are vague.

Abigayle

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 12:00:10 PM »
Benny, Thanks for the update.  How many yards would you say you could use it to spot someone?  Is the dot very obvious when looking back at it?
Would there be a worry, if the other person/people were armed that they would assume the dot was on a scope, and fire?
I am interested in this type of scope of course, esp. if we have someone at both sides of the house, on "night shift", it could be a big help if it didn't get you in trouble.  When looking through the one inch lens, what would you guess the area is, that you can view? 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 01:42:19 PM by Abigayle »
Ariel

BennyMG1

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2023, 06:43:08 AM »
I would say you can see out maybe 75 or 100 yards.

The viewing area on the 1 inch screen is actually pretty wide.

It’s not a scope that can be mounted on a firearm, but simply for viewing.

There is no dot on it so it has nothing to see from the front. However, the screen is very bright and it’s not inconceivable that a diligent invader could see the light reflecting off a face. Also, it’s infrared. So any device that can see infrared light will see it. I haven’t tried the cell phone trick, but will check that angle out today.

Another concern from a tactical standpoint is that the screen is so bright that it causes problems with your night vision. It took a few seconds for my eyes to readjust after looking through it.

I’d say all in all, it’s good for general observation in the dark, but to rely on it tactically has its challenges. I will still be saving my pennies for an optic that sees heat signatures

nj_m715

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 08:02:49 AM »
since it's only the cost of a happy meal at mcdonalds theres not much to lose

if you have no night vision and want some, it's good for you

if you have an extra 2 grand laying around and can afford better, then buy better

can't expect everything for 30 bucks
hell, for 30 bucks you can give it to kids to play with

Abigayle

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2023, 08:23:31 AM »
Or, for thirty bucks, you could buy some B.B. & B,s. Just trying to make wise purchases.  For example, bought some good toe nail and finger nail clippers this week.  I would hate to have to cut the toes out of our shoes because I could not cut toe nails.  I guess they would be good for climbing trees and fighting off predators.

BennyMG1

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2023, 10:39:08 AM »
Absolutely!!! I’m sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

For the record. IMHO: It cannot be beat for $30. I, for one, can’t afford a $2000 night vision setup (the one I really wanted was $40k).

I was simply pointing out objective observations and drawing subjective conclusions.

This scope is 100% better than what I had and I do like it. Very much worth the cost. I mean you could actually order 3 for not much more than a tank of gas and have spares. If one of these breaks, just toss it. No big deal. If your $2000 or more setup breaks, you have to find someone who can repair it and then pay for repairs (which probably won’t be available in SHTF). I’m not going to cry over thirty bucks, but I might shed a tear over $2000+.

I 100% do recommend this unless you can afford multiple high dollar setups.

Abigayle

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2023, 01:52:48 PM »
Went to order, but didn't like sighing in with my information.  I tried using Facebook but they want access to all my information. Would order if I could just hit PayPal but that option was not avail.  Thanks, Benny, for all the information.  I may find it on another site.
Ariel

nj_m715

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 09:43:17 PM »
finally got my order
I second benny's assessment

feels very cheap in my hand, but turns on and works

Abigayle

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2023, 01:14:52 PM »
When I click on it, they as for several different modes of payment. I don't use those and they didn't offer PayPal.  When you click on Google to go to payment, it asks for a whole bunch of information I don't feel they need.
Anything of this nature is a good idea, since it doesn't tie into the grid.  Even home cameras will run out of battery.
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal