Author Topic: Squirrels in the Birdfeeder - Solution found!  (Read 2221 times)

Searchboss

Squirrels in the Birdfeeder - Solution found!
« on: May 24, 2023, 12:05:26 PM »
At the Spring Campout 2023, my wife and I got to talking with nj_m715 about how to keep squirrels out of our backyard bird feeder. Since shooting them is not a viable option within the city limits, we have tried using grease on the pole, a cone suspended just below the bird feeders, and a few other ideas, but nothing has worked. nj_m715 suggested the idea of putting a Slinky around the pole. Well, when we got home from the campout my wife ordered one and we put it on the pole a couple of weeks ago. To my surprise, it has worked! It has been amusing to watch the squirrels try to find a way around the slinky. One even managed to climb to the top of the pole, but could not figure out how to get to the feeder because of the slinky. Time will tell how well this works, but so far it is the best solution we have found. Thank You nj_m715!!!!

I tried including a picture of the end result, but the system would not show it. I will try to modify this post to include it later if I can.

nj_m715

Re: Squirrels in the Birdfeeder - Solution found!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 01:07:00 PM »
the slinky stops almost all of em

something like this stops the one or two that learn to climb the spring
I used a large plastic flower pot but it does the same thing
just make sure they can't jump down from a nearby tree

Surveyor1

Re: Squirrels in the Birdfeeder - Solution found!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 02:19:59 PM »
Yes the slinky was quite amusing when we put it on.  They eventually figured out how to get beyond it.  We actually spent the money and bought a “squirrel proof” feeder that actually has been working great for 3 years now!  They don’t even go up the pole anymore!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABGSX4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=squirrel+buster+bird+feeder&&view=detail&mid=D3ECEF9876804B06DD4AD3ECEF9876804B06DD4A&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dsquirrel%2Bbuster%2Bbird%2Bfeeder%26FORM%3DHDRSC4
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal