Author Topic: Why You May Want Take A Look At Cranberry Beans  (Read 1015 times)

Abigayle

Why You May Want Take A Look At Cranberry Beans
« on: June 06, 2023, 03:30:05 PM »
Years ago, when I had the room and the energy to grow beans for food storage, I tried a bag of Cranberry beans.  I found them to have a rich flavor... a little nutty, almost a bit walnut taste.  So, I grew them, dried them on the vine, stored them in jars and loved them!  I am not a big fan of pinto beans, but will eat them if I have to.  After storing some this year, I decided to compare pinto beans to cranberry beans, in terms of food value.  What I discovered encouraged me to store some again.
Here are a few of the food value comparisons with pinto beans. The numbers I am giving show the advantage (some) of the cranberry bean over pinto.
1.59x more dietary fiber per 100 gm 17.97 more leucine per 100 g, 29.48 more polyunsaturated fatty acids, 12.39% more calcium, 1.59x more zinc.  It has a lot more folate, like 15%. They are higher in protein.  For complete information, just google the two and ask to compare.  I found them to cook quickly and keep well.  The two years we grew them, I found that they dried nicely on the vine.  One year was rainy, so I pulled the vines and hung them in the garage.  There were no mold issues.  I would contribute that to the thin shell. Just a thought for some variety.  I have one more.

Ravenwood1950

Re: Why You May Want Take A Look At Cranberry Beans
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 09:18:53 PM »
Can you buy the cranberry beans in the store? I don’t know that I have ever seen any.
Ravenwood

Abigayle

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 09:37:56 PM »
Vita Cost has them.  Bob's Red Mill used to have them, when they shipped from the company.  Ravenwood, I have not seem them in the store, but they may be there.  it is a lot of work to grow and shell them, since they are bush beans.  They are very prolific.  I would dry most of them on the plant, then pull it up. Someone must sell them.  I just got some from Vita Cost since I had a 20% off coupon.

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 11:04:46 AM »
Thanks Fix-it!  I also saw them at Walmart, but not all stores have them in Stock.  These, I am sure, are better quality.
Ariel

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 08:30:38 AM »
Check your local Ingall's if you still want to try Cranberry beans. They had the small bags at our Ingall's recently. They were two something a package, but when you think about it, a small amount goes a long way.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 08:23:08 AM »
I ordered a few seed and will try them out this year as a new addition.  I hope the old saying is True !  Try it you might like it !

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal