Author Topic: Anyone tried Walmart “Canned pulled pork with sauce” ?  (Read 448 times)

Ravenwood1950

Anyone tried Walmart “Canned pulled pork with sauce” ?
« on: June 30, 2023, 08:56:30 AM »
I hate going to Walmart but needed a stock up on several items yesterday. While checking out the canned meat section I picked up a couple of cans of store brand pulled pork with sauce. Anybody tried them before and how did you like them?
I am planning on getting several pork loins and canning them for barbecue like I have in the past.
Thanks for anyone’s input.
Ravenwood

BennyMG1

Re: Anyone tried Walmart “Canned pulled pork with sauce” ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 12:12:20 PM »
I did not like it.

I have also tried multiple brands of canned roast beef and found Walmart brand to be bland and watered down with only half the can actual meat. Also did not like the Tyson brand. Believe it or not, the clover valley (dollar general brand) came out on top of my taste tests. There are some new brands that were not available at the time of my testing.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Surveyor1

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 02:05:16 PM »
Never tried them.  We canned a lot of pork loin, round steak and chicken breast ourselves over 10 years ago and they taste as good as the day we canned them and are holding up just fine.
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 08:35:08 PM »
I only bought 2 cans. Glad to know you are eating your older canned meat. I need to eat mine but was concerned about it. I know my canned chicken still smells and tastes good.
Ravenwood

Searchboss

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 11:30:33 AM »
I second BennyMG1. I too tried the WM brand and found it disappointing. Like Benny, we liked the clover valley (dollar general brand) better. The best canned-pork I have found so far is the Keystone brand we bought at Ingalls. It is a bit more expensive, but I thought it was worth it. We put our own sauce on it.

Abigayle

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 02:46:34 PM »
Agree 100% with Searchboss.  Keystone is all meat, so the price is not that bad.  Mine won't expire until 2025-2026 and I have had them awhile.  There is not added water, a dash of sea salt, good carbs, no additives.  The offer Turkey, pork, beef and ground beef.  The new cans expire in '27, but I have some older that are good through '26 and '26. 16.5 oz is around nine dollars now, but from eight-fifty.  Stores are not consistent on the pricing, but close.  Amazon has been terrible, but can watch for a sale.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal