Author Topic: My Patriot Supply Honey Wheat Bread  (Read 582 times)

Surveyor1

My Patriot Supply Honey Wheat Bread
« on: July 15, 2023, 03:54:05 PM »
I had ordered the case pack pouches awhile back and whenI noticed today that the #10 cans were on sale at $9.95 I figured I needed to make a loaf.  I followed the instructions on the package and added nothing extra.  I baked at 375 for 40 minutes (internal temp of 190).  The bread did rise a little but was still dense kinda like soda bread.  Even though a little dense the flavor was incredible!  I honestly don’t need TSHTF to eat this, I could eat and would eat this bread as a regular staple to my diet.  I’m sure you could add yeast or baking powder to make it “fluffier” but I wanted to try it “as is” first and was not disappointed!  Needless to say right after sampling I stocked up!  There is also instructions on making rolls if a loaf is too much for you.  I highly recommend and at less than $3.50 a loaf (about 2000 calories) you simply cannot go wrong .  The flavor has just the right amount of honey to make it sweet without being too sweet.  If anyone has any questions please ask.

https://www.mypatriotsupply.com/products/honey-wheat-bread-mix?_pos=1&_sid=c22e4cb3d&_ss=r
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Surveyor1

Re: My Patriot Supply Honey Wheat Bread
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 09:37:01 AM »
After making the bread yesterday, which was excellent btw, I wanted to look for a self reliant way to make it rise.  I knew that yeast naturally occurs in nature but did not really know how to “harvest” this yeast provided to us naturally.  I’m sure some of you already knew these little tricks but for those that don’t, you’ll be surprised at how easy it is!  Attached is a good article that appears to be very simple and easy to understand on how to create your own yeast as we all know dry yeast does not store long term.  For those of you that have been doing things like this the old fashion and self reliant way, please share any additional “hacks” that you might have!  Thanks…

https://tinylivinglife.com/how-to-make-your-own-yeast-during-the-pandemic-and-in-the-future/
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Surveyor1

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 08:46:24 AM »
Hey Abigayle, after I make my flour/water mixture for yeast any thoughts on how much I should add to my mix to make the bread rise? 

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 12:28:49 PM »
My wife says...... There are 2-1/4 teaspoons in one of those individual packs you buy at the store.   She usually uses one pack per loaf of bread. 

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 07:40:26 PM »
Hey Abigayle, after I make my flour/water mixture for yeast any thoughts on how much I should add to my mix to make the bread rise?
Surveyor, I just got mine and have been working all day.  Do they have a suggestion on the package?  My yeast that just finished can be used in had made bread, but in a bread maker, they ask for quick rise (2 tsp).  If you are adding it to this loaf as a bread, two tsps. should work, if you have a good bubble going... Afterwards, if you want it lighter you can increase it, but homemade wheat bread, in my opinion, tends to be on the dense side.  Let us know how it works out.
I am not ready to try it, since I have a loaf of herb bread and part of an olive loaf that I need to use up. You might add a pinch of sugar to the added yeast to get it to work a little harder.
Ariel

John Galt 1

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 08:05:06 PM »
Surveyor,     You have inspired me.

Using a bread recipe another member here gave me I made bread in a bread machine today.    But I added a good splash of honey to it.        Delicious.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 08:20:22 PM »
John, if you like herbs you can add a TLb. of dried basil. rosemary, cilantro, really any herbs you like.
Those of you starting with a bread machine....watch your order of ingredients and scrape off the top of the measuring cups with the back side of a butter knife to keep it exact.  If your yeast is coming out of the freezer, take it out first to warm it up.
If you are kneading by hand, one big tip is to not over-work your dough.  Bread making is so rewarding! Thanks for bringing it back into the spotlight.
Now peel an apple and make your own pectin, ha1

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal