Author Topic: India to stop exporting rice  (Read 1541 times)

Abigayle

India to stop exporting rice
« on: July 23, 2023, 10:01:35 PM »
Last Sept. They started with broken rice.  This is the cheap stuff used in our pet foods.  Anyone with a four legged beast that shares their home, knows what happened to the price of pet food.  I recently heard that Costco limited the number of cat food bags a person can buy.  This move will insure that everyone runs back six times and loads up.  My Charlie gets his food from chewy and I try to keep a good backlog.  Charlie is capable of catching his own dinner.  He is a Russian Blue Cat.
So back to rice.  Inda doesn't have what it needs at home, to the extent that 40% that they export will being staying put.
The good news is that Mahatma is grown in Texas, and Arkansas.  It is good stuff.  If you want some variety and are low on your favorites, you might want to act now.
Some areas in the U.S. that have experienced excessive rainfall may grow a little more rice, but that will take the right knowledge and equipment.  Wheat products are going up (thank you, Russia); stores are starting to spread out the cereal boxes a bit more.  The good news is that we are not starving, by any means.  I for one, am planting more carefully in terms of depth and spacing.  Keep what we can for next year.

BennyMG1

Re: India to stop exporting rice
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 05:39:22 AM »
Rice is one of the things that I consistently notice being in limited stock when I go shopping. I keep expecting the stores to tighten up their shelves to hide the voids.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 06:55:50 AM »
Rice is one of the things that I consistently notice being in limited stock when I go shopping. I keep expecting the stores to tighten up their shelves to hide the voids.
That would require them to put something else in it's place.  The something else they may not have excess of.  Just a thought...

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 09:50:01 AM »
The twenty pound bags of Mahatna is going out fast.  That shelf is often empty or there may one bag.  The price has gone up a buck this month.  I know I can not store wild mix rice as long, due to the oil.  The price is way up on it if you can find it.
Have you noticed all the off-brand boxes of pasta that we have never heard of before?  Even that is lined up like tired soldiers on the very front of the shelf.  It is not enriched....
Running out of space for pasta in the pantry, I took one of those hanging shoe hangers, those brown fabric ones, and hung it on a rack used in the guest room.  It is perfect for spaghetti noodle boxes and you can read them.  I did some of the cubbies with other boxed pasta and one filled with Crystal Lite Lemonade boxes.  yes, I know it's not good for you, but on a hot day, it is a refreshing treat.
Back outside, changed out some dirt and will plant broccoli, cabbage and carrots today, then can more pickles and tomatoes.
I dream of a trip to Italy, as I toil away, knowing this is very important work.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal