Author Topic: Solar Flare Risk Increases  (Read 703 times)

Abigayle

Solar Flare Risk Increases
« on: July 28, 2023, 10:41:42 AM »
There is a huge sunspot on the other side of the sun.  It is so powerful, that it apparently it is so large that it is affecting the way the sun vibrates.  This is from spaceweather.com. It is moving rapidly.  I don't pretend to have a lot of knowledge about this kind of stuff, but this was expected to be a bad year for potential solar flares.  Quebec Ca., Eastern portion had a blackout caused by just this sort of thing.
A few years ago, when I was prepping, my medical chest did not include a large about of meds or even cleaners for a pandemic.  Sometimes, its the unexpected that can bite us in the butt when we are not looking.
What a perfect time for China to hit us and blame it on the sun....ya, that too....
I doubt that China is going to wait to throw something our way, until we have a weaker president in office... B. B & Bs.
Just thought that if you didn't have enough to worry about today, I could help you out.
Ariel

Surveyor1

Re: Solar Flare Risk Increases
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 12:26:05 PM »
Will be interesting to see the results of the data once analyzed by Europes Solar Orbiter…
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 01:32:11 PM »
Will be interesting to see the results of the data once analyzed by Europes Solar Orbiter…
. Please explain....thanks
I went to EarthSky, where they have the current view of the sun's activity.  If you have never viewed this, or even if you have, it is a worthwhile sight.  Excellent View of the current activity.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 01:54:56 PM by Abigayle »
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 04:15:04 PM »
Well, if there is a solar flare, we will see how the starlink is effected.

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 06:51:42 PM »
Funny R.W.S. If it were to happen, I am thinking you will have more on your plate than Star Link. Hmmm, maybe you will be entertained and we will be reading all our "how to" books....
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 08:01:27 PM »
That's the thing about lightning, solar flares & EMP.  You take all the precautions you can but you just never know if it is enough. 

Years ago I put up a 125ft Rohn tower and mounted a vertical out the top.  On Monday I went off to work for the week.  I called home that night and the wife said my antenna was toast.  Lightning had struck my new tower.  She got out the binoculars and confirmed the antenna was toast.

Ever notice a cell tower.  The lightning rod is out the top and the antennas are side mounted.  Less chance of a lightning strike.

Needless to say, I put a lightning rod out the top and side mounted the new antennas (plural).  I used a pair of 4 element beams and pointed one North and one South as I was using them for a 2 meter digital repeater.

Surveyor1

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 03:43:25 PM »
. Please explain....thanks
I went to EarthSky, where they have the current view of the sun's activity.  If you have never viewed this, or even if you have, it is a worthwhile sight.  Excellent View of the current activity.

It was in the article on Space Weather.  It’s a satellite the Europeans launched that is too tough for me to explain so I’ll just share a link…

https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Space_Science/Solar_Orbiter
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2023, 02:58:18 PM »
Looks like the most resent feedback was from 2020.  Other sites seem to agree that the solar maximum will occur sooner than expected, that being the end of this year.
Criticism of the earlier predictions of 2025 are based on old models not being updates, as weather patterns change.
This is related to solar flares, since we have already seen more X flares this year, then all of last year.  This is true of all the smaller flares as well and each of those has been stronger.  It appears the changes stay in play for approximately two year.
I found the articles on the web that explain how forecasters can be so wrong, to be of interest. I will try to be more understanding of major errors in long term forecasts.
Anyway, can't worry, just prepare for the unexpected, along with the expected.
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal