Author Topic: Uses for Anaheim Peppers  (Read 329 times)

Abigayle

Uses for Anaheim Peppers
« on: August 02, 2023, 08:10:49 AM »
I over-did these this year and right now, I have thirty-picture perfect peppers (great alliteration) on the counter-top.  I started out stuffing them with mixtures of hamburger and cheese, or just cheese.  Even though they are not thick walled, the skins are tough.  I tried adding a little water to a pan and pre-cooking them; it didn't help.  Is is due to the near record heat all summer?  Should I have thrown a light cover over them?  My other sweet peppers are find, just these, the ones I was most looking forward to.  Do I need to just dry them are turn them to fairy dust?  They are not as hot as jalapeņos, so maybe that is a waste.  Short of grill and peel, which would send me off the deep end, I am clueless regarding what to do.  Maybe can some, but I hate to waste the jars and throw them out later.  Has anyone canned tough peppers, or pickled them and had them come out well?  I need help fast, or they will be joining the fate of the yellow squash that didn't survive the crisper.
Ariel

Ravenwood1950

Re: Uses for Anaheim Peppers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 05:32:49 PM »
Not Anaheim peppers, but do the Jimmy Nardo peppers turn red or do I pick them green?
I hope they are sweet peppers and not hot ones. I grew them because you raved about them, ha ha. 🙂
Ravenwood

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 06:11:19 PM »
The Jimmy Nardello peppers need to turn red and be mature to get their flavor.  Good pepper! for stuffing and grilling/broiling.

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 09:56:02 PM »
You can use them green, but they are not as sweet.  Sometimes, they will have a green spot of them.  Save your seeds from some you feel are outstanding, as they will not disappoint, when you plant the seeds next year.  Each year should produce an even better product, unless it is a really bad year, or the soil is not as good.  Let them dry on a paper towel on the counter and keep them in a little envelope with your other seed.  You will have free peppers next year.
As R.W.S. said, they are good stuffed.  I sometimes seed and spray them, then roast them until they have a few burnt spots.  This will only bring out more sweetness.  This pepper will stand in for your bells if they do not do well.  They add color to your canning (bean, corn, soups, etc.  You can seed your extras and throw them in a freezer bag. no blanching needed, just clean.  Gotta love a Jimmy!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal