Author Topic: Hurricane-Ready Recipes (Food Storage)  (Read 374 times)

aces

Hurricane-Ready Recipes (Food Storage)
« on: August 04, 2023, 02:17:19 PM »
I thought this was a great handout not only for the college students it is designed for, but for anyone!

Hurricane-Ready Cookbook courtesy of Florida International University - Recipes and preparedness tips
This includes a lot of vegetarian dishes and low cost ingredients for easy to make meals.

https://dasa.fiu.edu/all-departments/healthy-living-program/_assets/docs/resources/huricanecookbook.pdf

What is your favorite recipe in this booklet?

Mine is going to be the no baking required "DIY Oatmeal Bars or Balls".

One intriguing recipe is a Greek salad with sardines in it since I have never seen that before!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 02:46:28 PM by aces »

Abigayle

Re: Hurricane-Ready Recipes
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 04:05:31 PM »
These are good and also would work for people on a restricted diet, avoiding meat.  The oatmeal ball is good.  I would change the raisins to dried cranberries.  The bean dip layer looks good, as does the chai choc pudding.  I would like to keep these somehow an pass them on.
Ariel

John Galt 1

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 06:52:53 PM »
Powers out.     No electricity required propane stove with along with a smoker.   
15 days of freeze-dried food.        Some of yummy Mountain House, some of it less yummy Legacy Foods.

Ocean temperatures around FL are now 101 degrees.      That means a nastier than usual hurricane season.
But if the roof gets ripped off the house all bets are off.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

nj_m715

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 07:10:52 PM »
thats why I keep a couple of Lilburn's 40' bill board tarps on hand

new roof in 10 mins...

well, 10 mins after the wind stops

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 09:06:07 PM »
John Galt 1, If the roof goes and you can get to Ga. P.M. us.  We have a roof and more than willing to help you out.

John Galt 1

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 08:48:33 AM »
Abigayle,     I suspect you'd want me to visit because I'd be bringing some yummy Mountain House food with me.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 04:44:34 PM »
Love that Mountain House, but at this point, I can offer gourmet meals in a jar.  I really just want to pick your brain!
Right now, our sky is turning black and we are under a severe thunder storm warning.  You might turn around and run the other way.  Hope I won't be kissing the six foot high beans and tomatoes goodbye.  Oh, yah, fresh veggies avail for your dinner as well.

aces

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 02:59:37 PM »
Abigayle,

Since the link to the booklet ends in ".pdf", you can save that file to a hard drive, the cloud, or a thumb drive or copy and paste it in an email, text, or about any document (Word, Excel, Notes).
It is the format that allows you to keep it electronically and to easily print from it in case a hard copy for a binder or a folder is desired.

Keep on Buckin' and Truckin' as we use to say back in Wyoming,

Allie

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal