Author Topic: Sewing Materials Listed  (Read 431 times)

Surveyor1

Sewing Materials Listed
« on: August 06, 2023, 04:42:04 PM »
I was wondering if someone with sewing experience and/or knowledge could share some insights on the following:

Type of material
How much to prep
Threads
How much thread to prep

I think needles and stuff are self explanatory?  But would definitely need supplies to make dresses as people change, clothes wear out and repairs needed.  Any other input is appreciated.  Just filling holes.
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

Re: Sewing Materials Listed
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 04:52:55 PM »
When Thor and I were first married he handed me a sock and asked if I could darn it.  I smiles and said sure.  He smiled in response.  I shook the sock three times, saying "darn sock, darn sock, darn sock" and threw it in the trash.  If I had darned it he would not have been able to walk on the lump.
So, here is the very little I know.  Get some packages with lots of different size needles.  You will need really thick ones for things like gloves and coats.  I look for big eyes so I don't go blind.  Some very light weight material for summer shirts that will dry in a breeze in five minutes.
This might be a good time of year to just buy some sweat shirts of different weights, with pockets and hoods.  Get dark colors in case you need to blend into the woods. 
Find some easy-sew patterns, esp things that don't require buttons, and button holes. Thread in lots of colors and weights.  Cotton is usually worth having.  Storming now, sorry I am not more help.

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 08:39:17 PM »
If you have solar to power a machine or a treadle machine, you'll want oil & proper machine needles for both (sizes 11-18 should take you through light cottons to heavy jeans), extra lightbulbs for the powered and belts for the treadle, at least a dozen bobbins so you don't have to unwind thread when you change colors.  Keep every old pair of jeans for patches.  Keep old sheets for quilt backing.   You'll want patterns for men, women & children.   Unless there's someone with experience, keep them simple:  elastic waists or drawstring for pants and pull-on type tops.  If there is an experienced sewing person, zippers and buttons.  For a medium woman, plan on 3 yds of 45" wide fabric for pants, 2 for a short to 3/4 sleeve top.  Save extra for quilts & repairs.

As to fabric, walk through a fabric store and feel the cloth.   Stick with cottons, jerseys and wool.   Less flammable & easier to wash/dry.  You'll want light to medium stuff, maybe some heavy denim or duck for winter pants.   Start with patterns and write down how much is required for making each item from scratch, depending on the sizes you'll need to make.  Also note the fabric & thread recommendations and then go touch fabric.  Look at your current wardrobes for additional thread colors to buy.  Get 3 spools (2-3" high) of your most used colors for repairs and buy the recommended for each pattern.   Unless specified by pattern go for a medium weight thread.

A couple of pairs of CLOTH ONLY scissors - go for the good German ones (Fiskars, etc).  You can spring for expensive trimming scissors or get a couple of cuticle type small ones, they are good for cutting thread and close trimming if you are careful.

If you are hand sewing....good luck.   Lots of needles from light to heavy and several thimbles.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Surveyor1

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 09:22:18 PM »
Thank you so much Starlady, that was definitely the kind of information I was looking for😎😎!!!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 09:38:59 PM »
Will the real seamstress please stand up....

aces

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 02:29:32 PM »
Look into these 2 kinds of easier to thread needles.

SIDE LOADING
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Self-Threading-Needles-for-the-Elderly-Threading-Stitching-Pins-A/2822212995?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=18988&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-393207457166:pla-51320962143&wl5=1015455&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125210027&wl11=online&wl12=2822212995_18988&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6dvevJjLgAMV9Up_AB3F_wSfEAQYASABEgKpfPD_BwE

TOP LOADING
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wozhidaoke-Sewing-Hand-Simple-Needles-Sewing-Embroidery-12PCS-Self-Threading-Thick-Big-Eye-ArtsCrafts-Sewing/1631569830?athbdg=L1700

I have decent eyesight, but threading a needle drives me nuts!
I had to invest in these for my mother who has a bad hand tremor for her to sew her crocheting together.
Then I bought some for me once I discovered how easy it can be to get thread or yarn down into
them from the top instead of of trying to poke through a traditional, closed "eye".

Surveyor1

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 04:03:23 PM »
Thanks Aces!  I will be needing some of those!  I have a hard enough time ringing the toilet so you can imagine me threading a needle!  Will be buying some!  Any preference of the 2?

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 06:55:06 PM »
It would be good to buy some inexpensive muslin to practice your pattern on. The best time to learn to sew is now.
Ravenwood

aces

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2023, 05:21:45 PM »
Thanks Aces!  I will be needing some of those!  I have a hard enough time ringing the toilet so you can imagine me threading a needle!  Will be buying some!  Any preference of the 2?

I prefer the side loading kind.  The from the end kind can have the thread pull out too easily sometimes.  Aces

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal