Author Topic: Need to prep medicine ? This may be an Option.  (Read 599 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Need to prep medicine ? This may be an Option.
« on: August 10, 2023, 03:59:38 PM »
Everyone knows the next medical crisis is just around the corner. Whether it comes in the form of a bioweapon or something much more mundane like a tick bite – you and your family need to be prepared. That’s where The Wellness Company comes in.
The Wellness Company and their doctors are medical professionals that you can trust and their new medical emergency kits are the gold standard when it comes to keeping you safe and healthy.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/08/stockpiling-critical-medications-has-never-been-more-important/

Searchboss

Re: Need to prep medicine ? This may be an Option.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 12:25:58 PM »
Good and timely post RWS! This was a topic of discussion at a recent Region 6 meeting. After reading the linked article I created the attached document with links to the three companies mentioned. I have ordered from JASE Medical and am satisfied with the kit I received. I have no experience with the other two. Keep in mind that the medications are supposed to be for the "patient" purchasing the "kit"; come with an "expiration date" of one year from the date of sale; and are designed to treat ONE case of "illness or injury" that each medication is applicable to. Your mileage may vary.  ;)  NONE of the companies mentioned accept insurance.

BennyMG1

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 02:43:27 PM »
It looks like some fish antibiotics are still available without a prescription through Chewy. I was looking and saw some antibiotics did require prescription from a vet in the description of the drug. Many of the mainstream fish antibiotics have no mention of needing a prescription. I’m going to investigate it a little further.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

John Galt 1

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 08:32:34 PM »
This thread reminded me to restock my M-95 masks.

Mrs. Galt and I are not big mask wearers so when Covid hit hard we gave most of the N-95 masks to older family members.      Just ordered a set of replacement N-95 masks.

Thanks RWS for starting this thread.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

coastiemike

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 08:14:18 AM »
Good and timely post RWS! This was a topic of discussion at a recent Region 6 meeting. After reading the linked article I created the attached document with links to the three companies mentioned. I have ordered from JASE Medical and am satisfied with the kit I received. I have no experience with the other two. Keep in mind that the medications are supposed to be for the "patient" purchasing the "kit"; come with an "expiration date" of one year from the date of sale; and are designed to treat ONE case of "illness or injury" that each medication is applicable to. Your mileage may vary.  ;)  NONE of the companies mentioned accept insurance.

I’ve also ordered from Jase before.  Purchased one kit for each person in my family.  Also satisfied with the kit.

Abigayle

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 10:38:06 AM »
We all know that meds last longer than what is stated on the package.  If you personally know a pharmacist, have that discussion with them.
Drug companies benefit from our discarding and starting fresh.  I would worry more about fentanyl laced drugs from our friendly providers in China.
If you are going to start some of your own home grown remedies, you really should have started yesterday.  I am finding that they don't just spring up and are ready for use.  Some involve using the root, or juice from the flower.  Not an overnight project, but I won't give up!
Ariel

Surveyor1

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 11:28:22 AM »
It looks like some fish antibiotics are still available without a prescription through Chewy. I was looking and saw some antibiotics did require prescription from a vet in the description of the drug. Many of the mainstream fish antibiotics have no mention of needing a prescription. I’m going to investigate it a little further.

Many people have gotten Fishmox Forte to keep on hand.  I tried to find info on proper storage for long term and honestly there’s just too much conflicting information out there.  Some say don’t freeze others say freezer is good.  Knowing that heat and moisture are any antibiotic’s nemesis I chose the freezer route….

Most dosage recommendations I’ve read on amoxicillin says 500 MG 2 or 3 times a day for 10 to 14 days.  So in a survival situation I would go 3 times a day for 14 days since you don’t want the infection to come back.  Also if your stored antibiotics have degraded any this dosage may be prudent.  The very last thing that you want to do is not take enough or long enough and create an infection that creates resistance to the drug!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

BennyMG1

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 12:11:28 PM »
I keep all my antibiotics and many meds in large steel sealed military containers with dessicant packs at a constant 69 to 70 degrees. I’ve spoken to pharmacist that have agreed. Maybe Rockhopper will chime in here.

Starlady

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 06:17:35 PM »
FYI:   My Amoxicillin and the stronger pain meds (left overs from surgeries, etc) are still working at 11-12 years old.  They are just stored in a dry dark cabinet.  I've had a reason to use both this spring and summer and they have been fine.

As of mid-June, Federal Law requires all animal antibiotics to have veterinary oversight.   There's at least 1 website where you can get an online consult and 'scrip without a visit, altho I haven't tried it. 
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 04:16:17 PM »
Surveyor, It is possible, if you go the fourteen day route, you may build up some resistance to the drug the next time you use it.  Unless you are "under-dozing" ten days should do you, leaving meds to family members, or another time.
This comes from a retired dentist.

Rockhopper

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2023, 09:37:27 AM »
I keep all my antibiotics and many meds in large steel sealed military containers with dessicant packs at a constant 69 to 70 degrees. I’ve spoken to pharmacist that have agreed. Maybe Rockhopper will chime in here.

Desiccant packs definitely help. Perhaps a bigger threat to our meds though is oxygen, so vacuum packing meds (using a food saver machine, etc) and including a small oxygen absorber and then storing in a cool dry place should give you best results. Ironically the bathroom medicine cabinet is the WORST place since bathrooms often have high humidity. I am not telling anyone, or advising anyone, to use any medications after their expiration dates but am merely providing this for information purposes only in the event someone finds themselves in a national grid down event in which we no longer have a functioning medical system and someone has to make a decision if to use a product or not.
Regarding extended expiration dates use duckduckgo.com and search SLEP study or Medication Shelf Life Extension Program. Here's one link https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7040264/

BennyMG1

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2023, 07:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the info Rockhopper!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal