Author Topic: Bug Out Bag vs. Get Home Bag  (Read 463 times)

BennyMG1

Bug Out Bag vs. Get Home Bag
« on: September 06, 2023, 08:52:38 AM »
I was recently talking to a friend about what type of bag we keep with us during the course of our regular work week. He carry’s his Bug Out Bag with him wherever he goes. His rationale is that, with that bag he can bug out at a drop of a hat, no matter where he is. Me, on the other hand, I carry a get home bag with me wherever I go. My get home bag has supplies to get me home should I get caught away from home and have to walk it. My rationale is that I’ll be bugging in so I just need to get home….and since I hardly ever more than a day and a half walk from home, there’s no point in me lugging around a 36 pound bug out bag when my get home bag comes in at less than 15 including water.

What are y’all doing? B.O.B. Or G.H.B. (AKA: EDC bag)
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

aces

Re: Bug Out Bag vs. Get Home Bag
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 12:36:49 PM »
I carry a light get home bag in my vehicle.  But I keep a big bug out bag at home.  I plan to bug in, but that may not be possible in some scenarios. 

Examples:  Natural gas explosion danger crops up, and you are given 5 minutes to get out and stay out for a couple of days or a big earthquake hits and destroys your house (the fall line in Georgia is actually a fault line.)  in cases like that, you will be grateful for a bug out bag. 

Searchboss

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 07:56:15 PM »
I carry a dedicated get-home bag in my vehicle all the time, and my wife has one in hers. Each bag weighs about 17 lbs. Like yours, BenneyMG1, my bag, which I consider as a 24-hour+ bag, should have the stuff I might need if I have to RON (remain overnight) or walk home, day or night, rain or shine.

I also have a bug-out bag at the house. It is MUCH heavier and has a LOT more stuff in it. It is almost an INCH (I’m Never Coming Home) bag. I hope I never need to carry it, but if I had to leave in a rush, I know if I grab that bag I should be good for 3+ days, either in a motel or on my own, and a lot longer if I can find additional food.

We have actually had a need to use items out of either of our GHBs over the past few years when unexpected things happened. They bring a lot of peace of mind just knowing they are there if needed.

BennyMG1

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 04:26:14 AM »
I do have a bug out bag that I keep at home if I have to leave home. I can make it three days with the bag only, but it weighs around 36 pounds. When I first put it together, it was much heavier. When I went through it trying to lighten the load, I found that I have a penchant for redundancy (which is not a bad thing). However, when reducing weight, I had to think. My Gerber multi tool has a knife on it so I removed the two lock blade folding knives. I had FIVE flashlights so I reduced down to one flashlight, one headlamp and added one extra set of batteries for the flashlight. I took out the bulky MRE’s and added some mountain house freeze dried stuff (I did field strip one MRE and kept an entree (sp?) for some quick food.) I also added a protein bar. There were other changes made, but even at that, it’s still around 36 pounds. I just hope I never have to use it.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 10:20:19 PM »
I wont lie im terrible at keeping my Get home bag with me. I typically only pack it if im more then 30 miles from home. Its light, has simple cook stove and a water purifier, change of socks. Nothing special. The only thing i keep ready at all times is my chest rig with my load out. Had a bug out bag but every time i go camping i use it and customize what i need in it. Its unpacked right now. Waiting on a good prepper novel to come in they usually get me doing inventory. I try to stay below 30 pounds, that 20 mile hike with 28 pnds was a breeze but my friend had 46 and he was strait dead by the end.

I always keep water with me, every vehicle has canteens. Im not sure i could pack an I.N.C.H. Searchboss. Unless maybe i consider my suburban and camper as that bag. I could narrow it down to a few thousand pounds.
Psalms 127:3-5

Searchboss

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 11:26:11 AM »
Im not sure i could pack an I.N.C.H. Searchboss. Unless maybe i consider my suburban and camper as that bag. I could narrow it down to a few thousand pounds.

I am with you there! An I.N.C.H. bag is a good place to store all kinds of potential bug-out items at the house or in a vehicle, but for most people carrying that much weight is just not reasonable. That is why I have had such a hard time "completing" my bug-out-bag build. As others have mentioned, a 35-ish pound bug-out pack is about right for most average people, but that limits what can be carried.

If it is ever needed, I hope that your bug-out camper still works for you. That seems to be the best option if it is available, and what I would choose.

tlwagg

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 03:12:30 PM »
I keep a get-home bag in my car since I don't normally drive that far from home. If we go farther away I add the bug out bag. I hope I never have to use either of them.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

elandil

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 08:12:50 PM »
Ngl, since I went to WFH and don't drive an hour one way to work anymore....I just keep some basic supplies in the car and that's it. The farthest I drive now is less than 20 miles once a week for doc appts, unless I'm driving to see a friend or family. I need to honestly re-do all my bags, but with all the other projects and issues I've been having to deal with....it just hasn't been a priority.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal