Author Topic: What animal am I dealing with?  (Read 403 times)

John Galt 1

What animal am I dealing with?
« on: October 20, 2023, 06:44:41 PM »
We feed the barn cats in the horse barn with the doors on one end open 5", just wide enough for the larger cat to slip through with some squeezing.
The animal has dragged 2 unopened 20 lb bags of cat food 6-8' several times so it can chew through the plastic bag and eat while under a stored dresser with the space under it less than 7" high.

I put out 2 traps.      The larger trap in large enough to easily hold a 25 lb dog.     Both traps were baited with little cans of cat food.
The animal managed to step over the 5" wide trip plate in the larger trap and remove the can of cat food leaving the empty can 15' away.       The smaller trap which works well for catching stray cats was tripped but the cat food can was still inside.

Dry cat food 3' up on a table is never touched so the animal can't leap up.

N.E. Ga area.     
What am I trying to trap?       Mostly skunks and O-Possums around here but I doubt a large O-possum could get through the 5" barn door opening.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

nj_m715

Re: What animal am I dealing with?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 07:24:32 PM »

John Galt 1

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 12:51:21 PM »
I'm going to pass on Sasquatch as the culprit.
It didn't come back last night but at this point I'm thinking a large opossum but an animal that large can't fit through the barn door 4 1/2" -5" opening.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 06:54:34 PM »
We have had issues with possum's and raccons. We have had possums squeeze through 3” opening and kill chickens only to give up trying to get them out. Usually just find the body with head ripped off stuck in the fence or a huge ploom of feathers and blood when they were successful. Its impressive what one of them varmints can fir through.

Hope you catch them!
Psalms 127:3-5

nj_m715

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 09:04:42 PM »
dont put your bait in the trap, put it under it the trap
It forces them to dig bite and scratch for the free food
making a better chance to trigger the trap

I cant remember who gave me that tip, might have been you ?

Farside

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 12:26:01 PM »
if you put the bait under the trap, make sure you stake it down. Also a good idea to cover the trap with cardboard. It make it more inviting, and if it's a skunk you'll love having the sides.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal