Author Topic: Shrimp Boil in Foil [Camping\Grid Down}  (Read 269 times)

aces

Shrimp Boil in Foil [Camping\Grid Down}
« on: October 30, 2023, 01:39:28 PM »
My favorite memory of living in southern Louisiana for a short stint in the oil patch was going to a neighbor's shrimp boil.
I had never seen a huge burner set up in a driveway nor such a  HUGE pot of water at a rolling boil in to which he was rough
chopping potatoes, carrots, corn cobs, onions, and whatever else he had in his cold storage.  Then his wife brought whole,
unpeeled shrimp right out of the freezer and dumped them in near the end of the cooking time! 
Clean up afterward was easy for all of us to do as it was all newspaper for tablecloths and rolled paper towels for napkins since
we ate with our hands after they drained off the water.

Now you can enjoy a piece of that delicious fun in foil packets!  This would make a nice camp dinner or raise spirts during a first grid down
night when you have to use or lose what you cannot save in your freezer (unless you have a good size generator or ice maker.)
Now if I can find "head-on" shrimp nearby to keep in the freezer and feast on every 3 months to keep it rotated ... ;D

SHRIMP BOIL FOIL PACKETS

https://diethood.com/grilled-shrimp-boil-foil-packets/

Ingredients
Baby Potatoes: If you use regular potatoes, cut them into small chunks so that they cook faster.
Corn on the Cob
Shrimp
Smoked Sausage: I like to use Andouille sausage for this recipe, but you can use whichever type you like.
Yellow Onion
Garlic
Butter: You’ll want to get it nice and melted for slathering on the shrimp.
Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Old Bay Seasoning
Lemon Slices & Chopped Parsley: These ingredients will serve as your garnish.

Methods:
There are a few ways to go about this shrimp recipe. Grilling is the classic method, but it also tastes amazing when cooked in the oven. Whether it’s barbecue season or too cold to grill, shrimp boil is a great dinner option!

For the Grill
Preheat Grill: Set your grill to 400°F
Prepare Foil: Tear out 4 large (measuring 12×12) heavy duty foil sheets. Set aside.
Boil Water: Add water to a large pot and set over high heat; bring to a boil.
Cook Corn & Potatoes: Add potatoes and corn to boiling water; reduce heat to a steady simmer and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Drain.
Combine Other Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine shrimp, sausages, onion, garlic, potatoes, and corn.
Add Butter: Add melted butter to the shrimp mixture.
Season: Season with salt, pepper and old bay seasoning; stir until thoroughly combined.
Portion Ingredients in Foil: Divide the shrimp mixture ingredients between the four aluminum foil sheets. Wrap foils tightly around the ingredients and seal it all together.
Grill: Place the packets directly on the grill and cook for 15 minutes, flipping once halfway through cooking. Them, remove them from the grill.

For the Oven
Preheat: Preheat your oven to 400˚F.
Assemble Foil Packets: Transfer prepared sealed packets to a large baking sheet.
Bake: Cook for 15 minutes.
Garnish & Serve: Remove from the oven, garnish with lemon & parsley and serve.

Tips:
Use Thick Foil: You definitely want to opt for a heavy duty foil so you don’t get any rips or tears while grilling or baking your shrimp.
Don’t Overstuff Your Foil Packets: Make sure you have enough room to close the foil completely around your ingredients so everything stays inside.
Remember to Flip When Grilling: Don’t forget to flip the foil packets over halfway through grilling. This will make sure everything cooks evenly. If you’re using the stove method, don’t worry about this.
Don’t Overcook: Shrimp is known to cook very quickly, so be sure not to leave your foil packets on the grill or in the oven for too long.

Serving Suggestions

This recipe certainly doesn’t need a side dish, but there are a few things that go so well with it, I have to mention them!
Salad: I love pairing this hearty dinner with a light salad. My super easy Tabbouleh Salad is a stellar choice!
Bread: Serve your shrimp boil with fresh baked bread for the ultimate comfort meal. I recommend making my No Knead Skillet Olive Bread or my Slow Cooker Basil Pesto Bread.
Rice: A side of rice is always nice to enjoy with this shrimp boil. Particularly, this quick and easy Coconut Lime Cauliflower Rice, which also happens to be gluten free.

How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
To store any leftover shrimp boil, place it in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last for up to 2 days.
The best way to reheat your leftovers is actually in the microwave, without the foil of course.
Heat for 15 second intervals until it’s reached your desired temperature and enjoy!

(I prefer my toaster oven for reheating meat that can be tougher after being put in a microwave. - aces)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal