Author Topic: Scalloped Potatoes II (Food Storage)  (Read 545 times)

aces

Scalloped Potatoes II (Food Storage)
« on: January 02, 2024, 03:41:39 PM »
I bought a bunch of Augason dehydrated potato slices on sale this fall and found another good, simple recipe to make them when the the need arises.

SCALLOPED POTATOES

Prep : 10 minutes         Cook : 40 minutes     Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4

Ingredients
3 cups dried potato slices
1/4 cup skim milk powder
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp corn starch
2 tsp onion flakes or 1 tsp powder
1 Tbsp dried chives or green onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 3/4 cup water
3 Tbsp butter

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
Pour potato slices in casserole dish.
In small bowl, combine powdered milk, flour, cornstarch, onion, chives, salt, mustard powder and black pepper. Stir well.
Gradually whisk in water and mix to ensure no lumps remain.
Pour over potato slices.
Cut butter in small pieces and distribute over top of potatoes and liquid.
Place in oven and cook for 40 to 45 minutes.
Remove from oven and let rest and set for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Notes
The sauce mix (without water or butter) can be made ahead and stored with the dried potatoes for even greater convenience.
Use within 6 months for best flavor, although it is safe to store for up to 3 years (the shelf life of skim milk powder).

Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Calories: 275 kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 9g | Sodium: 428mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Iron: 2mg

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 03:54:54 PM by aces »

Abigayle

Re: Scalloped Potatoes II (Food Storage)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 09:56:40 AM »
Aces, this looks like a good one, and you would not have to rehydrate them for use first, thanks.  I would try adding a little powdered cheese to this one once in awhile for change, with a little increase in liquid.
These could be make in a solar over, or low campfire.  I am trying to find the best, really dry wood, to experiment with, that will produce the least smoke.  We have enough distance from any neighbor,  so food smell is not an issue.  A cast iron pot with lid should handle that.
Anyone out there with suggestions for Georgia wood that produces the least smoke?  I would hate to do all the cooking at night.
The above recipe mentions storing the dried ingredients ahead of time.  If you have a small mylar bag, or can make one from a larger used bag (iron to make seams). The mix would keep longer.  A little rosemary might be good, if you like it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 10:27:15 AM by Abigayle »
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal