Author Topic: Prepper Company mentioned on National News!  (Read 644 times)

Searchboss

Prepper Company mentioned on National News!
« on: February 12, 2024, 08:51:56 AM »
I typically pack and store my own “long-term food storage” items myself. You know the dry stuff like sugar, beans, rice, and grains, etc. But there are some things that I want in my preps that I just can’t prepare properly myself, such as meat. This is one area including canned and freeze-dried meats; I try to buy from time to time when I find a good sale.

I came across this Fox News article this morning. “Army vet says prepper food company booming as more Americans plan for disaster in 2024” at this link: https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/army-vet-prepper-food-company-booming-americans-plan-disaster-2024

Surprisingly, this is the third or fourth mainstream media news article I have read recently that specifically talks about preppers. While the article was interesting I noticed that they did not provide the name of the company nor did they provide a link to it. That just seems odd. I did more research and found the following article: “Two Combat Disabled Veterans Returned to a Nation in Crisis and Founded a Prepper Beef Company” at this link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/two-combat-disabled-veterans-returned-to-a-nation-in-crisis-and-founded-a-prepper-beef-company/ar-BB1hjW0X

This article did mention the name of the company which is called Prepper Beef. Here is a link to their website: https://prepperbeef.com/

I had never heard of them before, so I perused the link and did some checking. I must say that it looks like they have indeed found a niche in the prepper food chain. While I have not had the opportunity to try out their products, I am intrigued. Unfortunately, the cost is substantial. While I like what I see in their marketing, I doubt I will become one of their prime customers. The cost is simply too high when compared to other items I could buy to provide similar calories. I may buy a sample at some point just for comparison.

It was good to see preppers in the mainstream news, particularly when not presented as tin-foil-hat nuts. I just wish they did a better job of presenting ALL the information…

Abigayle

Re: Prepper Company mentioned on National News!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 10:37:30 AM »
Search Boss, I find the cost of freeze dried meat from any company these days, almost laughable.  With. the current cost. of stew meat alone, I can see where these companies are having issues, providing a. worthy product at a price point also worthy of purchase.
Keystone meats, while expensive, have apron a five year shelf life. They. offer ground beef and beef chunks, along with turkey, chicken and pork. They are all meat, no. fillers.  Recently, a few stores started offering a few small cans, so you. can try the product.  This may allow you a way to put some back. We all know that most canned food outlives the use by date (exception....tomato products).
Think about putting up some venison, it's healthier!  Good luck!

Searchboss

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 11:27:40 AM »
Abigayle, good to hear from you, and thanks for the insight. I already have a few cans of Keystone meats put back. I found them at a grocery store in a town a couple over from where I live, so I pick up a few cans when I pass through. You are right, it is good meat. We have used some of the older cans to make a few meals while experimenting. Rotation is important! While I like the weight, utility, and storage life of freeze-dried foods, I tend to only buy them when I find a good sale due to the high cost. They are just one more option available.

Surveyor1

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 03:09:08 PM »
The Mrs canned a couple hundred pints of meat 11-12 years ago and they are still holding well!  We pop open one every now and then to eat and so far they’ve been excellent!  Because it was so cheap at the time we canned 3 different items:  boneless skinless chicken breast ($.99 lb in bulk), whole pork loin ($1.19 lb) and round steak ($2.18 lb sure miss those days huh?).  Very first meat she canned was hamburger but it was actually more of a hassle than the other meats so she only did one batch.  The hamburger is our bellwether item since it has more fat than the other lean cuts, and if one of those “blows” we will ramp up eating more urgently. 

It was really easy, just trim any fat, cut into raw 1” chunks, put in pints and pressure can for 90 minutes.   The meat comes out so tender and creates its own broth.  You can still find deals on pork loin and chicken breast!  It’s roughly a pound of meat in a pint jar so perfect serving size for a few people. So for about $2.00/lb plus cost of jars and labor you can have cooked meat readily available!  Considering that the cheapest store bought can chicken is over $3.50 per pound (most are over $5.00) not only do you get excellent meat without and extra chemicals added but you control the process! 

*Update*. After typing above I looked up Keystone meat and was not surprised that the cost was rather steep…. I don’t really like to use the words “trust me” BUT trust me when I say for the value, taste and storage capabilities, you will be really glad you tried canning your own meats! 
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Surveyor1

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 04:13:34 PM »
After writing the above post I did more research on Keystone.  The beef is actually a very good deal at Walmart right now at about $5.65 per lb!  The vast majority of the reviews that I’ve seen have been extremely positive.  The ingredients are just like canning at home, chunks of meat and pinch of salt and nothing else.  They advertise 5 year guaranteed shelf life but in all honesty it will be much longer.  The can will let you know immediately if bad!!!  I saw on one website selling it where one of their customers brought in an 18 year old can and the opened it and it was just like when packed, it was fine….  So I guess beef at $5.65/lb for long term storage is a great deal!  Link attached.

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=Keystone+beef
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 08:13:20 PM »
The size of the can is 14 ounces not a pound. I just noticed that. To me, it really doesn’t matter what it costs if you want to have meat stored. It will be priceless if times are worse.
Ravenwood

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 06:58:24 AM »
Ravenwood, mine. are 16 oz.,except for the small cans. I wonder if the shrunk them!1
Ariel

Surveyor1

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 09:35:39 AM »
They actually have 2 sizes, 14.5 oz and 28 oz.  I just checked the price per pound based on the price divided by the number of ounces.  The bigger can was the $5.65/lb while the smaller can was around $6.50 I believe.  Considering the cost of beef these days that’s a pretty good price for something that stores that long with no added ingredients.

Abigayle

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 07:17:46 PM »
AUGUSTON FARMS POTATO SHREDS-   Amazon, 8.52. #10 cans, right now.  Someone said price went up, but this was the price four minutes ago.
Ariel

8greenbeans

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 01:55:14 PM »
We've been noticing the mainstream media/gov recommending people get stocked up prior to the eclipse. It's kinda weird.

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

Abigayle

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 04:29:50 PM »
8 Beans, Yes, more than a little weirdness going around. F.E.M.A. used to recommend that you "store" and that is just an expression in this case....Three,,,, yes, three days of food in case of an emergency. WHAT? We have flash flood warnings that last longer than that. Anyhow, a few months ago, they upped the ante.  They went from three days to three months. So, if you have six months will they come by to collect your "extra" three months for those less fortunate? (translates to, lazy?). I told my own family, bring food and your weapon.  If you don't trust what I am telling you, stay home.  I will only share if you get ready. This is tough to say, following a death, but it holds true.  Give up a twelve pack or whatever.
But I digress....there are also warning signals more often on TV.  On Caveat,  they are not stating "this is a test, this is only a test".  Crickets.....nothing.... Put it all together and what do you get? Not a coincidence...something else.  I am not wasting my tinfoil on a hat...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal