Author Topic: For New canners!!!  (Read 105 times)

Abigayle

For New canners!!!
« on: March 27, 2024, 04:41:51 PM »
Please beware that just because they show it on U-Tube and it looks great and easy, that does not make it right!  This week, there are several new ones from women, where the process is translated.  I saw one for cheese dumplings, etc, using an unusual method.  It looked safe.
Others were water bathing meat.  Please do not do this?  They also processed for fifteen minutes....NEVER!!!  During a crisis is an especially bad time to use new methods you, or a trusted friend/relative has not used.  Use your canning books,  I am begging you!  They also show canning in a pot without covering the jars.  If anyone has used any of these and you are still kicking,  let us know.  I would love to be proven wrong!
We drank my homemade Bloody Mary mix this week, for breakfast, with French toast. I made it a year ago, using everything from the homestead, including horseradish.  We didn't make them "high octane", so we could put in a full day.  Diane Devereaux, my preservation expert, has the recipe.  It's amazing. I know you get tired of my talking about her...Chef, Prepare, Gourmet canner...what a woman!

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: For New canners!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 06:27:56 PM »
I have a cart on BePrepared.com with the meals you mentioned (BeyondOutDoors) because I could not find them on MyPatriotSupply.com.  I looked again and found the sale.  These will be good to keep a couple in the truck,car and several in the camper.  I also used to use Mountain House Years & years & years ago when hiking the AT with my teen age sons.

Canning methods.  I most always use a pressure canner but never fill the water up over the jar tops.  I just take it up in PSI and hold.  It goes up a lot quicker with less water.  I have been doing this for over 40 years.  My wife uses the hot water boiler on fruit.  When I use the canner on pears or peaches they get all soft and squishy.  Then when the wife uses them in a pie, ect.  I get fussed at because they are soggy.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 06:54:53 PM by RWS »

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 09:00:52 AM »
I must have missed the link to the Beyond the Outdoors?? Can someone direct me to it please?
Thanks
Ravenwood

Found it. 🙂

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 09:19:17 AM »

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 09:48:49 AM »
R.W.S.  I only use about four inches in my pressure canner.  These woman were using a water bath and the water didn't begin to cover the jars.  One only. cooked meals in a jar,  containing meat, for fifteen minutes.  One was pouring boiling water over fruit, two times,  then sealing.  She said it kept for a year.  This appeared to be low acid fruit, by the way. 
I will try to find the sale on Beyond.  If using the sausage one, add 1/4 more water to the bag.  Let it sit about 30 seconds longer.  I use a full boil pour.
I have been canning since 1999, but did some canning earlier, just simple stuff.
I was a city girl.  My mother taught me how to open very complicated department store boxes.  She did teach me to clean, no cooking, no baking, but man, that house was clean.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal