Author Topic: Where To find tall poles to hold chicken netting overhead.?  (Read 135 times)

Abigayle

Where To find tall poles to hold chicken netting overhead.?
« on: April 23, 2024, 02:32:41 PM »
We have a 48 inch  tall electric fence, around our chicken yard. It is solar powered.  We also have a run from the chicken house, where we can contain them in a smaller space.  Recently I bought a huge amount of plastic/nylon/? two inch netting to cover the whole yard.  We started out attaching to trees, but we don't have a clean shot from one end of the large area to the other.  We can't get the ceiling as high as we would like, in order to walk under it.  I also plant grains and have sand baths that need to be serviced. Of course, we have to get at the birds!
After searching on line, I have been unable to find tall poles, with a ball on the end, that can be pounded into the ground, to hold up the netting.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  It would not have to be made for this purpose.  We are considering using 7ft saplings, putting them a foot in the ground and using a little quick create.  We start ed the project, attaching to larger trees, but can't complete this method successfully.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The objective is to keep birds of prey from swooping in at will.  Thanks for reading and thinkings this through with us!
Ariel

Fixit

Re: Where To find tall poles to hold chicken netting overhead.?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 07:20:43 PM »
Bamboo was my first thought also . But being a first class scronge  .my second thought was watching peoples trash after a wind storm for the poles from patio table umbrellas .

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 09:44:04 AM »
Fix it, this is so funny. We have two umbrella holders that the owners so kindly left behind for us to dispose of (among other things).  I thought about covering the two with old greenhouse fabric for shade in their yard.
Surveyor, I have used bamboo in the garden in the past, but it just holds up so long.  Maybe with the quick Crete it will last longer, but then you have to deal with getting them out.  Maybe making an indentation, removing the pole letting it dry and putting it in.
Thor mentioned going to thrift shops and looking for deflated volleyballs....oh dear....how to draw attention to your chicken run and house that you tucked away some.  Thanks, guys..
Ariel

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 09:56:44 AM »
Thor managed to find some tall, 3" straight trees in the woods.  We needed to thin anyway and plan to open up some.  Along with the two umbrella stands, we now have the chicken area covered with the netting.
Last night, there were coyotes down in the fields below our 3000 ft high home.  I have never heard that many.  The cows must be calving.  Some lead needed to be wasted to keep them off the mountain.  That was actually at four this morning, in a full moon.    Wonder who was doing all the shooting?  It was 47 degrees.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal