Author Topic: Garlic Question  (Read 112 times)

Surveyor1

Garlic Question
« on: April 23, 2024, 03:51:50 PM »
Do y’all soak your cloves before planting, if so how long and do you add anything to the water?  Thanks as online there are so many opinions and different methods.  I would much rather trust someone that I know that has experience. 
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Garlic Question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 04:38:27 PM »
In South Ga. I plant my garlic in the Fall.  Soak?  Never heard if it......Mine just comes up when the soil temp is right at least that is what I thought.  It will be Fall before I can experiment..

Abigayle

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 09:30:39 AM »
Surveyor. 1 I have never soaked my garlic cloves before planting them.  This was a newer crop for me, six years ago.  I have planted it ever since, doing both spring and fall crops.  When we lived forty minutes south of Atlanta, I planted two patches in raised beds, side by side.  One was hard neck the other soft neck.  I didn't have to dig them, since the soil was soft, so I could just pull them and shake them off.  When I pulled them and laid them on top of the soil, I could see that the soft neck bulbs had more that developed larger heads, but not to any extreme.
If you are using your new beds and your soil is light, you can plant the a few inches closer, since you won't be using a fork to dig them.  For those who are new with growing garlic, remember to cut the bloom off the top as soon as it forms.  It sucks nutrients out of the bulb.  The bloom resembles a Cala lily.  Back to soaking,  Mother Nature may have put that thin paper film over each clove for a reason.  It is possible that the garlic would grow faster at first, but may open an avenue for disease.  I still have two cloves left from last year that I missed, and six half pints of canned, maybe more.  I would never can them again; too much work, just store them right.

8greenbeans

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 02:43:25 PM »
Same as everyone else... never soaked, plant in the fall!

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal